Sign in with
Your question

Corsair XMS3 settings with an oc Q9300

Last response: in Memory
January 24, 2011 5:58:38 PM

Hi all,

I know there is a similar thread about what I am asking but I feel its better not to take over that thread with my questions. (thread I am referring to: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/285297-12-donimator...)

I built my pc (with some great help from people on this form ;)  TYVM! ) about a year and a half ago. The specs are/were:
Motherboard: GA-EP45C-DS3R
Processor: Q9300 oc'd to 3.2Ghz (7.5x427)
Ram: Corsair XMS2 DDR2-6400 4x1gb
GPU: ATI 4870 2gb oc'd (probably not relevant for this question ;)  )

Today I upgraded to 8gb (http://www.corsair.com/memory-3/xms-classic/ddr3-xms3/c...).

However, settings in the Bios show that it isnt running anywhere near 1600mhz like the website says it should. I get a setting of 1066mhz (I think, I need to couble check that and I will edit if its different).

I can change the settings to reach 1600 only when I dont oc the processor. However,I dont want to do that.

Current stable settings are:
DRAM Volt: 1.5V
DRAM Termination and Ch A + B Reference: 0.75 (all of them)

Performance Enhancement: Standard
XMP: Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch: 400MHz
System Memory Multiplier: 2.00D

I was able to set the DRAM Timing to the settings from the specifications. 9-9-9-27.

I tried a number of settings but I dont pass the post tests when I do and then the bios complains about potential over volting when I return to the configuration screen.

Well, that's about all the information I can think of at this second. If you need anything else, I can find it out.

Thanks in advance for your help!

~Draken
January 24, 2011 7:01:45 PM

Sorry for double post, but I cannot edit the above post.

Just some additional info about the System Memory Multiplier:

2.00D - Gives 854MHz and is stable but only as fast as the DDR2 Ram i upgraded
2.66D - Gives 1139MHz
3.33D - Gives 1423MHz - And seems stable now that I tried again... But not quite 1600...
4.00D - Gives 1708MHz and will not pass POST tests.

I tried a number of other settings but most dont pass the post tests and then the bios complains about potential over volting when I return to the configuration screen eventhough they are in safe levels...

Is 1423MHZ the best I will be able to do? I mean I read on there about people OCing to 2000MHz, but I am not interested in OCing the Ram, just interested in getting it to normal settings.
January 30, 2011 1:41:01 PM

Anyone got any info about this?
June 20, 2012 8:06:08 PM

It correlates with the CPU clock speed. Try changing your cpu speed down a little bit (7.5x400) and then look which options are possible with the DRAM clock speeds.

The CPU and DRAM are working with each other. In fact CPU speed determines DRAM speed.

If you buy a DDR3 1600MHz memory, it means it is CAPABLE of getting speed 1600MHz safely, maybe even a little more.
But it doesn't mean it will be running on 1600MHz.
!