Hey guys, noob with an dilemma

Chud_Munson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Hey there,

So, I assembled my first gaming rig last week. Did a 2500k, a p8p67 Pro, GTX 460, 4 GB of Corsair 1600, Antec 650W 80 Plus PSU, and a Cooler Master HAF 922. For keyboard/mouse, I've got Razer Lycosa and Death Adder. It's a great machine, and I love everything about it, but I'm having a couple concerns I'm hoping someone could give me a hand with.

Everything worked fine at first. Within a few hours, I was getting a USB over current error in BIOS (which would cause an auto reboot), and occasionally a "keyboard not detected error." In the latter case, it would boot partially into Windows, and then give me a black screen. Spent the better part of a day doing several fixes (checked jumpers, updated BIOS to 1003, cleared CMOS) and nothing fixed it. Later that day, it fixed itself. Guess I just needed to burn it in.

Now, I can boot into Windows just fine (still will get "keyboard not detected" in BIOS occasionally), but I will still get a USB power surge error in Windows sometimes. Not all the time, just sometimes. Other funny thing is all of my USB devices work just fine, and none of the ports have actually been disabled. Adding to that, when I check on ports via device manager, all of them seem to be operating (even when I don't reset the ports). None of this is posing any sort of functional problem.

Now, here's my dilemma. Do I not worry about it and pass it off as a software quirk, or is this the sign of a failing board (I still have time to RMA through Newegg)? I'd hate to send it in if it's nothing to worry about, but I'd rather nip this in the bud if it's going to cause headaches down the road. Any opinions would be more than welcome.

Thanks, guys.

kez1304

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Well, that's not normal.

BIOS isn't software based, so I wouldn't write it off as 'a software quirk'.

If your getting a 'USB power surge error in Windows', I would think about your PSU as well.

Have you tried reseating all the power connecters and reseating the motherboard on the standoffs?

Could be worth taking your PSU to your local PC shop so they can check to see if the power is constant and not surging, as this can kill your other components.

Could well be the motherboard acting up as well though. But I'd get the PSU checked out before returning the motherboard.

Chud_Munson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

I was thinking more the USB errors in Windows wrt software.

I haven't tried reseating yet.

I'll have the PSU looked at. I actually work at Best Buy, so maybe I'll ask one of the Geek Squad guys to take a peek.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
the fact that the BIOS is losing connection with the KB (as well as the USB Power Surge thing) suggests to me that maybe your Keyboard is faulty? Could be shorting out internally.

If you have another keyboard that you can test with (USB preferably) and see if the same errors occur.
Also try connecting the Razor KB to a different USB port, Front as well as Back.

Last thing you want to do is fry your brand new mobo cos you got a damaged KB..

From what you said, It sounds to me like the issue may lie with the KB

Chud_Munson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
You know what, as stupid as it sounds, I haven't tried another keyboard or mouse. I just figured it was a bigger problem due to the other stuff I was dealing with. I hope that's the problem, but I'll definitely feel like a dumbass if that's the case.

Update: Changed keyboard and mouse. No problems/errors/warnings on start-up or in Windows. Changed back to Lycosa/Death Adder. No problems still. Really confused.