Changing Firefox settings for SSD-How?

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Recently bought a SSD, Samsung 830 128GB.
I've read many articles on how to change the settings to optimize the SSD, so it doesnt write alot of stuff into it and so on. Like disabling Disk Difragmenter, Disk cleanup, the IE temp files and so on...

But my problem is, its not only IE that i use for browsing the internet. I also use Mozilla Firefox and i have not been able to find anything anywhere on how to change the settings of Firefox so its like IE, where the temp files and so on is not actually writing on the SSD but my Storage HDD.

Does anybody out there use Firefox while having a SSD for boot drive?
Does anybody know any links on how to change the settings of Firefox so it doesnt mess up my SSD?

Solution
jsrudd is 1,000% correct. :)

Leave your IE and Firefox Temp folder on your SSD. You don't need to "baby" a SSD.

If you move your Temp folder then instead of lasting 10 years your Samsung 830 will last 9 years, 364 days, 12 hours. :)
jsrudd is 1,000% correct. :)

Leave your IE and Firefox Temp folder on your SSD. You don't need to "baby" a SSD.

If you move your Temp folder then instead of lasting 10 years your Samsung 830 will last 9 years, 364 days, 12 hours. :)

Solution

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
To answer both of your question on how long im intending to keep this SSD, well: As long as possible.

As 'jsrudd' said "I don't think things like this are really necessary for modern SSDs." Are you saying that i should undo all the things i dis to 'optimize' my SSD? Things like disabling defragger, disk cleaup, system restore, disk indexing, page filing, hybernation, prefetch, superfetch, windows searching...

Basically most of these... 
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

And by the way, i dont have AHCI enabled as i have a Asus P5G41CM-LX mobo. Have consulted the issue here before and they said it doesnt really make a big difference

All of those things were necessary in 2003 when consumer grade SSDs were 1st available.

If you're buying a new SSD in 2012 the main thing you need to do is have the port that the SSD is connected to be in AHCI mode.

You should also disable defrag. If you're using Windows 7 and you run WEI (Windows Experience Index), Windows will automatically disable defrag on all SSDs that are connected to your system.

If you've already done the other tips and tweaks don't worry about it, you can leave things the way you have it.

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Is what i said correct? "AHCI will not really make a difference?" Because my current mob
Doesnt support AHCI mode.

And so rule of thinb is TO NOT DEFRAG SSD?
But what about Disk Cleanup, i use it alot of my spinning HDD, shall i use it on SAD or AVOID AT ALL COST?

No, there's a big difference in performance with a SSD in AHCI mode vs. IDE mode.
But, if your motherboard doesn't support it there's nothing you can do about it.

Yes, you should not defrag a SSD. It won't hurt the SSD, but it's not necessary.

Yes, I use Disk Cleanup every 3 months or so to delete temp files that have built up in my Temp folders (that I keep on my SSD). It keeps my drive from filling up with unnecessary files.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Disk cleanup just deletes unwanted files. No problem. In fact, given your dated mobo the ssd is relying on it's own garbage collection. So, try and keep as much free space as possible.

Just don't defrag. Defrag will effectively 'write' zeros to your entire drive and it will slow to a crawl until garbage collection eventually figures out which cells are 'empty' and which have data on them.

Buy a z77 / i5 3570k / ddr3 1600 . $450 well spent.

edit... the original question about firefox? This is the most important program (besides windows) to have on your ssd. The access times for all those small files make firefox fly on the ssd compared to the spinner. You bought it, now use it. The nand will last a long, long, time.