Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Strange issue with 9800GTX+

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2010 3:36:04 PM

My BFG 9800GTX+ (owned for two years) has been acting a little weird lately. Normally the highest temp I get on the card is around 72°, but lately the card has been showing some improved temps, with idle running at 39°-42° and max never getting higher than 59°. It doesn't matter what applications are running. I can even run games normally guaranteed to make the card sweat, but it never breaks 59°.

I should be happy with the new temps, but I'm a little concerned over what could be causing the card to run so cool. The only mod I've made to my p.c. lately is installing a new 1000W PSU. I have noticed that the improved temps didn't start showing up until I threw the PSU in. Which is strange, because I've never experienced a PSU that can magically improve video card temperatures by 13 degrees.

The PSU (a Coolmax ZP-1000B) itself resides on the bottom of the case, and the vid card has direct exposure to the intake fan with about 5" of space between them.

Should I be concerned that the card is on its way to permanent retirement? I haven't experienced any crashes or artifacts so far, but it's a little hard for me to believe that a new PSU could affect the card like that. Granted, I normally invest a good chuck of money in a quality replacement PSU when one is needed, so my experience is limited by the number of units I've replaced over the years.

Any advice would be appreciated!

More about : strange issue 9800gtx

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2010 3:41:32 PM

PSU has a lot to do with temps. The more efficient your PSU is, the less heat is outed into your case. That, and it's probably a better-cooled PSU, which, as you said, resides in a location not so far from your GPU.
April 10, 2010 8:10:40 PM

shadow187 said:
PSU has a lot to do with temps. The more efficient your PSU is, the less heat is outed into your case. That, and it's probably a better-cooled PSU, which, as you said, resides in a location not so far from your GPU.

You're on the dot here, I'm thinking. My old PSU (a BFG 550W) was nice, but I'm really impressed so far with the performance of the Coolmax. Especially considering the price, it's gone above and beyond what I thought it would be capable of. I bought it at discount a couple months back, but now it looks like Tiger has it down to $99. Not bad for a 1000W Bronze PSU. I guess time will tell how well it performs overall.

And the intake fan has dimples :pt1cable:  !
m
l
April 11, 2010 11:34:46 PM

Best answer selected by Dirtman73.
m
l
!