Usb 3.0 speeds slow

blackrockets

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
i am trying to copy music onto my WD my book essential 2 tb, im using my usb 3.0 ports but its like 35-40 MB/s.

motherboard: asus sabertooth p67 b3 revision
HDD: WD caviar black 1tb

pjmelect it's not the HDD. The HDD is a SATA II or III HDD that is in a SATA III -> USB 3 enclosure (I Hope, and not in a USB2 enclosure).
And a Sata II HDD will perform about the same as a Sata III drive when used in a USB 3 enclosure.

Assuming you are using a USB 3 Enclusure:

1) P67 MBs use a 3rd party chipset, Make sure the Driver is the most current one.
2) make sure that your MB Bios Has the Most recent FW.
3) do you have any software that speeds up USB3 ( Asrock Z68 uses a software speed-up program)
4) Did you double check that the BIOS has USB 3 enabled for USB 3 transfer rate.

Now a little on transfer rates:
..This is a sum of two drives so speed is slower that what is listed for a single drive.
..It makes a big diff on Nr of files and size, That is if you ar4e transfering a large numver of RANDOM files from the external drive the speed would be much slower than if you were transfering a single Hugh File.

.. Note Not sure about enclusures, but the SATA III Apricorn -> USB 3 cable appears to Only work good for a specific chipset (an older one). But I think that is unique to it.

pjmelect it's not the HDD. The HDD is a SATA II or III HDD that is in a SATA III -> USB 3 enclosure (I Hope, and not in a USB2 enclosure).

That's what I meant I will try to be clearer with my writing in future. :(

blackrockets said that he was getting transfer rates of 35 to 40MB/S, this is better than you would expect for a USB 2 device which normally tops out at just over 30MB/s. It could be that the hard drive is the limiting factor here, if you are transferring small file towards the end of the disk. See what the transfer rate is for a file of many Gigs on a defragmented drive.