Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
First time builder:
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
i7 2700K
1 TB Hard Drive
Corsair Force 60GB SSD
Windows 7 Home Premium

This is my first built my first computer. Now that it is assembled I am having problems, it must be related to the SSD and the HDD. I down loaded Windows 7 on the SSD and then connected the HD after that. The computer booted fine and the Hard Drive was shown on the BIOS. SSD is set on AHCI but the Computer will not respond to commands unless I double click and open as administrator, and sometimes that does not work. The computer seems unstable, the sound works after I load the drivers, but stops working after I shut down the computer. I am at the end of my knowlege and ablility to deal with this, so I am reaching out for help from those with far more knowlege than I have to help find a solution. I have read about others who have had this same/simular problems and there are several complicated solutions that I have read, but I am not sure which I should follow. I am willing to start from scratch, format drives, whatever it takes! I am willing to follow a step by step procedure from this point on if someone can talk me through this. Short of a step by step procedure to follow, I am willing to pay someone in the Phoenix area to help me get this up and running correctly.

Thanks,
Conrad Scott
Phoenix, AZ
conradscott54@msn.com

fantastik250

Distinguished
Okay, the following link is literally a step-by-step (please read through it). You may want to have a laptop beside you when doing this for your desktop.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Some tips:
Leave only your SSD plugged in and no other hard drives installed.
In your BIOS (before installing windows 7) make sure your SATA controllers are changed to AHCI. So that you can get the benefits of the SSD.

If you have any questions, post them here. I or someone else can answer your questions, if any.

oldhanggliderguy

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Hello Mr. fantastik250:
Thanks for the link, I read through it and I believe I can follow ok. What about my SSD which already has Windows 7 on it? Should I "Format" it? If so how do I format a SSD? Same as HDD? Would you bother to erase or format the drives?

Thanks,
Conrad

fantastik250

Distinguished
Okay, now the next link will guide you on how to properly do a clean install. If you have a Windows 7 already on it, it will tell you to delete the Partition.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

You don't have to format. What happens is that when you begin the installation process it will tell you, Upgrade or Custom (Advanced), this is around step 9.

Let me know when you have looked through it and if you have further questions.

TRENDING THREADS