Asrock 870 extreme 3 discussions and user reviews!

briovaz

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
the following are the conclusions of the asrock 870 extreme 3 by some pc websites. all of your user reviews about this board are welcomed! please leave a reply about this board! thanx!

www.legionhardware.com

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/asrock_870_extreme3,1.html

conclusion: The Asrock 870 Extreme3 is all about value and at a little over $100 US there is plenty of that on offer. Those looking at upgrading to the AM3 platform that only require a single GPU solution, which I dare say is most of you, will find that the AMD 870 chipset meets all your demands. Currently it seems that the typical AMD 870 based motherboard is selling for around $110 US, which is exactly where the 870 Extreme3 fits in.
Appearances aside these three AMD 870 motherboards are very much alike, featuring almost the same board design and feature sets. However the Asrock 870 Extreme3 is the only version to offer two PCI Express x1 slots and it is the only board to feature a quick and easy to access CMOS reset switch. Additionally, the 870 Extreme3 offers five fan headers opposed to just the three found on the Asus and MSI boards.
Overall the 870 Extreme3 passed all of our tests with flying colors, and we failed to find any problems with this motherboard. The feature set is everything you could hope for from a $110 US motherboard, the performance is on par with the more expensive 890GX motherboards, the design is excellent as it is both striking and practical, while innovations such as Asrock UCC help to enrich this product.

techxplosion.net

http://techxplosion.net/review-of-asrock-870-extreme-3/

conclusion:The ASRock 870 Extreme3 is a very feature packed board and run extremely well in all tests. The only thing I noticed was there is no option for CPU over temp in the BIOS especially when overclocking this is a very good feature to have.

www.hardwarecanucks.com

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/cpu/asrock-unveils-870-extreme3-motherboard/

Based off of the 870 and SB850 chipset combination this board looks to pack a lot of punch for the mainstream user. Crossfire is supported via twin PCI-e 16X slots although they do run at 8x/8x electrical when both are populated. Processor support will include all of the current AM3 lineup with future support of course for the Phenom II X6 and X4 T series lineup. Powering the processor is a 4+1 phase VRM with a standard rating of 140W TDP processors.Integrated into the board as well is ASRock’s UCC chip that should allow the unlocking of disabled cores, although its never a given that your CPU will unlock the feature is still useful and in demand. Power and Reset buttons are featured on board and even a Diagnostic LED for POST is on display. This should satisfy the needs of most users out there today.

Connectivity on the Extreme3 is good with 5 internal SATA 6GB/s ports and a solitary eSATA one on the back plate. USB 3.0 has twin ports along with the standard fair of 2.0 connections. Overall the ASRock looks to bring good features and Value to the latest in AMD Chipset design.

www.pcstats.com

http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=83896

The Asrock 870 Extreme3 is all about value and at a little over $100 US there is plenty of that on offer. Those looking at upgrading to the AM3 platform that only require a single GPU solution, which I dare say is most of you, will find that the AMD 870 chipset meets all your demands. Currently it seems that the typical AMD 870 based motherboard is selling for around $110 US, which is exactly where the 870 Extreme3 fits in.

www.tweaktown.com

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3437/asrock_870_extreme3_amd_870_motherboard/index12.html

We liked the ASRock 870 Extreme3. It is fast, clean, easy to use and only $89.99 from NewEgg.com. At this price you can probably grab more RAM, a better GPU, or even pay for the full versions of the trail software included.

Our gaming experience was also great, but our overclocking experience was not that great. We are pretty sure that ASRock will correct this with a future BIOS; after all, they did put a ton of overclocking tools into the current one. We did not get a chance to try out the Core Unlocker function, as that is for another article, but it can also lower your overall cost if you can pick up a tri or dual core CPU and kick it up to a quad.

We think that this board could be one of the best AMD based motherboards in terms of bang for the buck that we have tested.

Performance including Overclocking: 85%
Quality including Design and Build: 85%
General Features: 85%
Bundle and Packaging: 75%
Availability on Shop Shelves: 88%
Value for Money: 92%
Overall TweakTown Rating: 85%

TokyoTom

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hi,

I purchased this motherboard a a few months back and have been pretty happy with it.

I live in Tokyo and found this motherboard at a DIY shop for around 9,000 yen (prices here aren't quite as competitive) and a discount was offered on the processor if you purchased them together.

I got an Phenom X4 955 (95w version for Japanese market).

http://www.pc-waves.com/index.php/en/news/processors/581-amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-95w-tdp-on-sales-in-japan

I use the EZ Overclock feature that ASRock provides within the BIOs and I've overclocked the CPU to 3.5 Ghz. Within the menu you just have to enter the percentage by which you want to overclock and settings are adjusted accordingly.

I know very little about overclocking so I found this feature to be very helpful.

This was my first build from scratch and I had the system up and running within an hour once I got everything in the case.

I experienced no issues whatsoever and with the money I saved by getting this board and I was able to get an 8GB kit from Corsair. As for the GPU, I took the Radeon 5750 from my old setup and everything is running very smoothly. I'm not too into games so I'm not using the Crossfire option offered, but I'm sure there are plenty of enthusiasts on a budget that will.

When I compared the features offered for the price I could not find any other boards that came close (at least in Japan). It offers a lot of bang for your buck. I have zero complaints.

hdo1

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
I purchased this mobo 5 weeks ago after having read all these "glowing" reviews.
All I have is trouble and still have not heard anything from the supplier after 4 weeks.
After installation, all it did is CRASH despite different RAMs, graphic cards tried on.
Used it with AMD 1090T Black Edition, Corsair Vengeance - 4GB Dual Channel Memory Kit - DDR3-1600 and Corsair Builder Series 600W Power Supply - ATX / EPS.
I don't think I would ever go near AsRock brand again. Stick to Gigabyte forever, that what I would recommend, folks.