What RAM should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I'm Planning on starting my first build sometime later on, and I was wondering what RAM I should get for an Asus p8p67 Motherboard, I currently have Corsair 4gb dual channel RAM ready to order and I'm wondering if it will work with the motherboard I have chosen. My budget for RAM would be if possible no more then $75 for dual channel, which is why I chose the Corsair 4gb kit

The model number for the RAM is CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

Solution
It might be better to allow this discussion to focus solely on the original question about RAM, then pose a new question or discussion about cases separately, rather than combine the two.

As has been said, the real key to RAM for Sandy Bridge CPUs is the voltage - 1.5V specifically. The Corsair RAM you mention in your original post does not run at 1.5V, it runs at 1.65V. It's intended for LGA-1156 and LGA-1366 CPUs. (Sandy Bridge is LGA-1155.)

Something to consider is the CAS latency, with lower CAS being preferable to higher. (Read that as CAS7 > CAS9.) When comparing RAM of the same speed, one with lower latency would be faster than one with higher latency.

The kit ko888 recommended is 1.5V RAM, so it is designed for Sandy Bridge...

The best way to ensure compatibility is to visit Asus's website and search for your motherboard. They should have a page for compatible ram manufacturers, sometimes even specific kits will be listed. I imagine however that corsair kit will be there as they are one of the bigger names in memory.

Considering current prices, you may want to look at 8GB kits. Something to think about.

For the new Sandy Bridge processors, just look for RAM that is specced at 1.5v for compatibility. Sandy Bridge does have the same limitation as previous Intel CPUs where you shouldn't use more than 1.65v on the RAM, and the lower the better.

You should be able to get 4GB DDR3-1600 kits for $49 or so. I would definitely recommend going with an 8GB kit though ... they can be had for around $89 (DDR3-1333) or $109 (DDR3-1600).

I'm going to be using either Mushkin or G.Skill Ripjaws X in my new build.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I think i shall go with ko888's idea, any idea a good case? has to have good airflow and be sorta cheap, I'm on a not too good budget for parts :p so maybe under 75? doesn't need a window, but if possible under for under 75 go for it, a totaly transparent case would be great as well lol

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
It might be better to allow this discussion to focus solely on the original question about RAM, then pose a new question or discussion about cases separately, rather than combine the two.

As has been said, the real key to RAM for Sandy Bridge CPUs is the voltage - 1.5V specifically. The Corsair RAM you mention in your original post does not run at 1.5V, it runs at 1.65V. It's intended for LGA-1156 and LGA-1366 CPUs. (Sandy Bridge is LGA-1155.)

Something to consider is the CAS latency, with lower CAS being preferable to higher. (Read that as CAS7 > CAS9.) When comparing RAM of the same speed, one with lower latency would be faster than one with higher latency.

The kit ko888 recommended is 1.5V RAM, so it is designed for Sandy Bridge CPUs. It's also high speed (1600) and low latency (CAS7), so it would be an excellent choice. But, it's easily argued that due to it's $70 price, an 8GB such as this G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1333 CAS7 @ $109 wouldn't cost too much more. You'd lose a little speed by dropping to 1333, but you'd double your capacity, and do so while still only occupying 2 DIMM slots.

Solution

lyneld

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I have a question similar to Wolley74. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since its a similar sort of question, I didn't want to create a whole new thread on the boards.

Anyway, I have the same motherboard (Asus P9P67 Pro) and am torn between getting either 2 sticks of 4gb or 4 sticks of 2gb DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600Mhz).

4GB Kit: http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=3&catid=34&prodgroupid=113&id=899&type=1

8GB Kit: http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=3&catid=34&prodgroupid=113&id=1051&type=1

2 4GB kits is about $50 less than the 8GB kit. The idea is to get a 4GB kit now, and another 4GB kit in a month or so.

The only drawback I know of is losing out on all 4 memory slots. However, I don't see myself using more than 8GB...at least not for another year or so.

Also, I know these are not high performance kits, but it should suit my needs fine I think.

Any advice is appreciated!

Ps. I'm not from the US - which would explain the higher costs. Buying from online US-only stores is not ideal either.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Lyneld, it really depends on what your budget can accommodate. While a 2x4GB kit would leave an easier upgrade path to 16GB should you ever desire it, if your goal is simply 8GB and two 2x2GB kits is far cheaper, then go for the two 2x2GB kits.

It might be worthwhile to actually start your own thread, though. Provide us more details as to where you are, what vendors you're considering, etc. Maybe someone can find you even better pricing. I've seen that happen plenty of times before.

lyneld

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Will do that right now. Thanks!

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Guys since this question has been asked and answered sort of in this thread let me confirm: if the ram is rated for 1.5 V then is it compatible with the Asus P67 boards? OR does it have to be specifically listed on Asus' website as compatible? Thanks. BTW I am building a a 2600K system with the Asus Deluxe mobo. I am thinking of going Gskill ddr3 1600 2 x 4G of ram - it is listed on NewEgg as compatible with the P67 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.