Good/mediocre/bad system?

Hey. I'm planning to buy an Athena XT system with these specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon™ II X4 630 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology ***Overclockable XXX***
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache HDD)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 NF630A AM2 DDR2/1066 SATA PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA) More Brand...
Also, Windows 7.

For 484 pounds (minus a moniter, got one already. There was a computer death in the family and that's really the only part worth salvaging). How would people rate this build, and what settings could I play Battlefield Bad company 2 on smoothly?

Any advice from some tech savvy people would be greatly appreciated. Even some not so tech savvy people on second thoughts.
13 answers Last reply
More about good mediocre system
  1. I'm not sure how happy you would be trying to build a pc yourself, but I googled your Mobo £41, processor £81, recently picked up a 320Gb drive for the other half at £30, you can save money and get some satisfaction from going that route :) you can definately get better specced parts for that price, and posting in the homebuilt its the advice a lot of people will give you over the build you posted.
    if you go for a amd triplecore, about 90% (according to hearsay) can unlock to quadcores, mine did :) and I would suggest pairing it with an AsRock Mobo with either a 2+ socket or a 3, got to go work now, ill check back in the morning :)
  2. Yeah, I kind of messed up my last computer by fiddling around with OCing and whatnot, resulting in a lot of heat and computer bad times. And this PC would come pre-built which would be a large bonus... Oops. I posted this in the build your own section didn't I. Balls. Ah well. SO yeah, pre built is a bonus. Also all the parts will work together, and if not I can send it back.
  3. Ya know, we could help ya.

Anyways, You're running a 3 inch E-Penis there.

(In case you want a refernce, my Liquid cooled Trifire build with a Intell Quad core that I'm gonna try to bump to 4.0+ gives me a 9 incher. )

(And that sucker has a PSU thats 350$ at retail)
  4. Quote:
    Nice analogy, or is it?..
    :D

:lol:

Lol.

Anyways, I'm gonna brag about my new build and my 9-11 inch E-Penis here.
  5. Quote:
    lol, does a 980X+480-quad SLI qualify for an footlong plus?

Hell, you'd need a third pantleg and a small nuclear power plant there, buddy... :heink:
  6. Quote:
    lol, does a 980X+480-quad SLI qualify for an footlong plus?

Well, My build is:

Cooler Master Storm Sniper.

Lite On Blu ray player.

4870X2 4870 Trfire.

Intell Q9550 @ about 4.0

Asus Rampage Fourmala X48.

8gb DDR2

1tb+ of Raid 0

Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling Kit.

Enermax Galaxy 1250W Modular, regraded as the best PSy ever made, 9.9/10 Jhonny Guru.

I'd say that puts me at bout 9 inches.
  7. ^ Owns my firnds 5870.

Trifire scaling isn't that bad.
  8. Here's about a year old review of multi-gpu scaling.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2726/1
  9. With the most recnt drivers?

:lol:
  10. 4870 from old build, 4870 X2 was 200$.

And with time Scaling has improved throgh drivers.

So: My 4870 Tri owns he 5870 at 1/2 the cost.

Win.
  11. Well... thanks for the info guys. I now know about my E penis length and everyone else's systems. GOOD STUFF! But w/e. I'm probs going to get this, I'm not a PC user who will cry and spend hundreds on new kit when they can't run a game on full settings. Which is good considering this build. It's going to be a ridiculous upgrade from my old XP pentium 4 3 ghz pc though... :P Cheers for the slightly off topic info.
  12. Sorry about the 3 inch E-Penis but:

1. You're buying a prebuilt auto -1 of E-Peen.

2. You have an Athlon CPU

3. You have a 100$ GPU.

4. DDR2 RAM. Old outdated. (I still use it in my build thou)
  13. Yep.

Athlond get you a 6-7 if you couple it with DDR3, 890Fx, and a 5870.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Hard Drives Systems Product