Sign in with
Your question

Corei5 or Corei3

Last response: in CPUs
July 16, 2010 4:40:08 AM

hey guys i was wondering if i should go with a corei3 dual core with 32nm technology or a corei5 quad core with 45nm technology? and what is the difference between the corei3, corei5, and the corei7? Sorry if its a dumb question is it just the difference in the architecture of the processor?

More about : corei5 corei3

a c 131 à CPUs
July 16, 2010 5:02:09 AM

They are all the same architecture. Because of this, they scale the exact same with an increase in cores or clockspeed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

i was wondering if i should go with a corei3 dual core with 32nm technology or a corei5 quad core with 45nm technology?
We need to know what you intend to do with the computer. I recently was talking on the forums with someone who needed a very powerful CPU for single threaded tasks. The core i5 dual core version clocked at 3.6GHz stock provided an excellent option for them. A lot of gamers go for the i5 quad core, or if they are on a budget, they opt for the i3 dual core.
Soo... It's a dumb question until you tell us what you will be using the computer for :p  . Be specific.

what is the difference between the corei3, corei5, and the corei7?
There are a lot. I think it would be easier to brief you on all their models. Let me know if you need any help with definitions or what certain terms mean:

Core i3: The core i3 only has dual core models with hyperthreading. They, from what I have heard, are excellent overclockers and good budget CPUs. Socket 1156. 32nm. Come with integrated graphics.

core i5: There are actually two types. Dual core with hyperthreading and a quad core without hyperthreading. socket 1156. 45nm. The core i5 dual cores come generally at a higher clockspeed than the core i3.

Core i7: All are quad cores with hyperthreading. The 8xx model is for socket 1156 and the 9xx model is for socket 1366. There is one exception (and soon to be released another). The i7 980X model is a 6 core processor with hyperthreading.

So anyway, provide us with more details on your computer uses and habits and I will be happy to make a recommendation for you. Don't forget to tell us you budget as well :D 
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2010 5:02:39 AM

Intel does make it confusing with their different sockets and dual core/quad parts having the same core i#.

The architecture between the processors are essentially the same, except the dual core i3/i5 has an integrated gpu on the processor.

The i3 is basically one of the dual core i5s, but they disabled turbo boost, which is what raises the multiplier when there is enough thermal headroom, and they're at lower speeds. All dual core i3/i5 have hyperthreading(2 logical cores per physical core).

The quad core i5 has turbo boost, but it doesn't have hyperthreading. This is what seperates it from the i7 on the 1156 socket.

The i7s are the ones split between the sockets. The 1156 socket i7s are basically the same as the 1366 i7s, but there aren't as many Pci-e lanes(so no uber Crossfire or SLI configs) and 1156 uses dual channel memory.

Finally, to answer your question, I would go with the quad i5. Intel's hyperthreading does give 4 threads for their dual core parts, but it doesn't make up for physical cores.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2010 5:04:56 AM

Dang... 30 seconds behind, I need to type faster next time ;) 
July 16, 2010 5:06:11 AM

ok thanks guy you told me what i needed to know and yes i understood all the definitions.
July 16, 2010 5:07:09 AM

haha yah just a bit faster next time
!