Sign in with
Your question

Mod Existing i7 for video editing?

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2010 7:10:01 PM

A little over a year ago I built an i7-920 based system for general use with these components:

Core i7-920 overclocked to 3.8GHz
Asus P6T Deluxe v2 MB
Corsair 850w PS
3GB Corsair XMS 1333 RAM
WD 1TB (black) HD (3)
ATI Radeon 4850 video card

But now I've purchased a high definition video camera to video my kids, and I need to run Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. I *could* go to CS5, but that means a switch to Win7 64-bit, which I'm not opposed to. I'm currently running XP SP3, and while I'm sure I'll miss it, I realize it won't go on forever.

I began changing my system by purchasing an Nvidia GTX 260 (eVGA) to handle the video editing. It should ship tomorrow.

But now I have a few questions: should I go to Win7 64-bit and take advantage of 6GB of memory (regardless of whether I go for Adobe CS5), and if so what speed RAM would you recommmend? I have a couple of old 32-bit apps that could run in to compatibility issues, though both are current enough to run fine on Vista 32-bit according to their websites.

Second, for video editing should I just forked out the extra $150 for a Fermi 470 instead of the OC'd 260 I just ordered?

I suppose the last question is: how meritorious is the idea of selling the current box and getting one of the new X58 mobos with 6GB/s SATA, USB 3.0, and the latest version of the i7 920 if I do go with Win7? Is there a significant performance advantage over what I already have?

Thanks for your thoughts!

HC

May 9, 2010 7:16:36 PM

plz don't sell the current system for usb 3.0 and sata iii... their potential is largely unexploited... for video editing i'd suggest getting a newer card if not the fermi's try the 5xxx ati radeons... they perform better than the gtx2xx series...

i've used xp, vista and 7 and i say though 7 is not as fast as xp is it will definitely better xp with a service pack release... take the plunge and buy 7... notice that the professional edition and ultimate edition provide compatibility for programs that work on xp
May 13, 2010 3:44:50 PM

should I go to Win7 64-bit and take advantage of 6GB of memory (regardless of whether I go for Adobe CS5), and if so what speed RAM would you recommmend?

For Windows 7, definitely yes, it provides wider support and the upgrade price is not expensive too. For RAM, the AMOUNT is more important than speed, so you can still stick to 1333Mhz but get 4GB/6GB

Second, for video editing should I just forked out the extra $150 for a Fermi 470 instead of the OC'd 260 I just ordered?

260 and 470 really differs a lot and it's hard to compare. Given that you have ordered a 260 you should stick to it.

About the new X58 mobos with 6GB/s SATA, USB 3.0:
Nah, SATA 6Gb/s is equivalent to 750MB/s which is way higher than typical HDD speed (around 100MB/s) so you really won't need a 6GB SATA for the time being. Same for USB 3.0 too.

Hope it helps. =)
Related resources
May 13, 2010 8:09:25 PM

quick question about the software you're choosing...

Is there a reason you're going with CS4 or CS5??

Sounds like this is an application where you're going to be viewing/editing home movies..

If you're going the home movie route, you may want to look into other applications that wouldn't be so costly.

I've recently done the same thing...i7 rig and an HD video camera...I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements...so far I've been pleased with the capabilities and quality...
a b B Homebuilt system
May 13, 2010 9:48:55 PM

Really I think you just need more ram which means a 64bit Os.

I'm no expert but I've tried adobe premiere 4 before and for basic use I didn't find it any more useful then my sony vegas 8.0. Again No Expert so I could be very very wrong.

You should really try the trial programs first to see how well they work for you.
May 14, 2010 1:36:21 AM

You guys bring up good points that I didn't figure out until after my OP. I was looking at CS4 or 5 based on posts I'd read on the net but it looks like Elements has the tools I need to do basic editing. I also found a neat little program called "AVS Video Editor 4" which I'm using on a trial basis right now.

I'm tempted to go to Win7, but if these 32-bit apps run fine on my XP Pro machine I'm not really gaining anything other than scratching the itch to upgrade. I did swap the 260 out for a 470, so I should have (better have!) plenty of GPU power for the basic editing I'm going to do! :-)

Thanks again for your thoughts. I'm all ears as to more recommendations, including editing software!

May 14, 2010 1:52:16 AM

It would be benificial to go Win 7 Home Edition x64...you will be able to take advantage of the much needed RAM...

I can tell you that right now when I run Adobe Elements on my rig...(i7-920, 6GB, GTX-275) it uses roughly 1.5 GB of Ram...and I'm not really doing any serious editing at the moment...

I've been only editing standard def...

I do have High Def home movies...but no editing has come into play yet (I just haven't had the time)

I will say that Premeire is pretty easy to use

Given your last post...I would recommend these options with the 470:

- 6 GB new Ram (or 3 GB additional of what you have...newer would probably be better)
- Win 7 x64 Home Premium

with a good set of 6 GB Ram, you're talking roughly $160 on up and $100 for Win 7
May 14, 2010 1:57:55 PM

Wow, I didn't know Premiere Elements used that much RAM, but I shouldn't be surprised. I have Photoshop Elements 7 and it takes several seconds to load, so Premiere Elements would only stand to use even more resources.
May 15, 2010 2:54:11 AM

I use Corel Video Studio Pro X2 and it is great. So far the only thing I can't do is add a tint, but the effects that you can do with it are huge in number and fully customizable. The editor is smooth and has tons of features. It encodes in up to 1080p and several less resolution video sizes. You can see audio wave data and add audio effects. All that for 50 bucks (US) on amazon. It is a generation old which is why it is so cheap, but it is a great video editor.

I made a youtube video with it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqrZR_ZlKFs.

PS: Audio distortion was intentional.
May 15, 2010 3:02:08 AM

And an upgrade to Windows 7 is inevitable, it will happen. However, with your recent purchase of the GTX 470, you may not want to do it now. That card is pretty pricey. Honestly, i think getting a high end graphics card for HD video editing is overkill. Yeah it'll work, but you don't need it. I have a GTS 250, which is really just a double overclocked 9800 GTX, and I run Corel VideoStudio X2 with no problem. And the final render of a 1080p video is something I've done with it. The GTX 260 would have done the job just fine, and if you really wanted to be safe a GTX 280 or 285 would have done the job.

You just don't need a DirectX 11 card to do video editing. If you game then by all means, buy it. The only non-game application type that you would need that card for would be 3D design.

However, now that you have purchased the card, know that it will do everything you need it to for, likely, the life of your computer. That is if you don't game.
May 18, 2010 3:33:54 AM

Thanks, guys. I have several friends urging me to join their "Starcraft 2" club, so although I know nothing about the game I'm sure the 470 will run it smoothly. Your input has been greatly appreciated! :-)
!