Max TDP and amount of power drawn

frye

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
For laptops, Intel's i3 and dual-core i7 CPUs are both rated with a 35 W max TDP. However, it seems to me, with the i7 being more powerful, that the i7 would draw more power than the i3 on average, thus reducing battery life. Is this the case?

Engadget ran a test an Toshiba's new Portege R705 with an i3-350M and managed 4.5 hours of battery life on a 66 Wh battery. The laptop does come with an i7-620M as an option. What battery life should I expect with the i7 compared to the i3?

Solution
Well, power draw is going to be higher. For sure, you'll have less battery life. However, it's going to be a big drop. i7 for mobiles is just a faster clocked i3 with a few more features, it's in essence the same chip.

How much battery you'll sacrifice? it's hard to say, too many variables. Your best bet is to find out from another source that actually has the lappy.

But it won't be much, 15 minutes at worst possible case. Remember, TDP is not power consumption ;).

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Well, power draw is going to be higher. For sure, you'll have less battery life. However, it's going to be a big drop. i7 for mobiles is just a faster clocked i3 with a few more features, it's in essence the same chip.

How much battery you'll sacrifice? it's hard to say, too many variables. Your best bet is to find out from another source that actually has the lappy.

But it won't be much, 15 minutes at worst possible case. Remember, TDP is not power consumption ;).

Solution

This is true for the i7 6xx series. But the mobile 8xx series are quad cores. OP, what model of i7 are we talking about here?

Also, a lot of the i7 dual core models are clocked lower than all the i3 models, with only one i7 model being clocked higher than the fastest core i3.

And I thought they couldn't ---- up the naming worse than they already had in the desktop variants...

Also, the core i7 dual cores have 1mb more cache. Also, the i7 has turbo in all models but the i3 doesn't at all.

But it won't be much, 15 minutes at worst possible case. Remember, TDP is not power consumption .
And I agree with this.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

He said i7-620M mate :p