Sign in with
Your question

About to order my build... please look over it (:

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2010 7:33:28 PM

About to order my first build, I'd love it if some people looked over it and gave me any last minute suggestions or pointed out any mistakes.

Credits to SomeGuyNamedMatt for most of the build and giving me lots of help, thanks!

Gonna use for: photo editing > 3d rendering > gaming

More about : order build

May 9, 2010 7:52:20 PM

Decent build but for your needs the i5 750 will better for two reasons...
1) More powerful CPU for Photo editing and 3D Rendering
2) Better SLI support through the LGA 1156 socket. Nvidia Chipsets are not good (very buggy!!) and would not recommend them for any SLI setup.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2010 7:54:29 PM

tecmo34 said:
Decent build but for your needs the i5 750 will better for two reasons...
1) More powerful CPU for Photo editing and 3D Rendering
2) Better SLI support through the LGA 1156 socket. Nvidia Chipsets are not good (very buggy!!) and would not recommend them for any SLI setup.

Can you recommend any motherboards for it? And what do you mean by buggy... it can't be that bad
m
l
May 9, 2010 7:56:14 PM

I hate to keep causing problems, but I don't see any way possible that you could pull together a P55 platform with full x16 dual SLI and DDR3-1333 standard for this price range. And if you OC that 955 with a good cooler like the 212, it's capable of smoking the 750 if you do it right.
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:00:18 PM

I wish somebody would just say that it looks good xD
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:00:25 PM

I think I'll stick with what I have... I really doubt I'll run into any issues

Should I go ahead and order?
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:01:10 PM

Ah, this seems like it would be a hot topic... let's wait a while to see what other people say about it. :) 

The only way I could see an nForce board as being 'buggy' is if you're one of those people who pesters with their BIOS and SLI settings every five minutes. As long as you get something stable and don't mess with it every five seconds, then you've got nothing to worry about.
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:01:37 PM

This is a good board for the price.... (don't be worried it is ASRock, they are good.)
ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

What I mean by buggy, is random BSOD for no parent reason. The chipset isn't very reliable and most would not recommend them.

Is the software you using utilize CUDA? If not, there is no reason to purchase a Nvidia card when ATI performs better. Typically, it isn't recommended to purchase two cards to start as it leaves no upgrade path if you run into gaming issues. To add more GPU power, you'll have to purchase one or two new cards, instead of just adding another card.
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:05:03 PM

Lol, that's the problem with Tom's... if you post something asking whether it's good or not, there will always be people who come along saying that 'this could be better', but always forget to mention that it would cost another $200...

EDIT

Yep, see? It's another $50 for the board, then another $40-50 for the processor... :) 
I don't even think Intel's going to be releasing anything for the 1156 anymore, either, so you'd better hope you don't see anything else you like. :)  AMD will keep the AM3 socket until someone decides to release DDR4 memory... lol...

All I can say about it being 'buggy', is that if you get the BSOD within the first two weeks of owning it, and it's not your fault (eg, bad overclock, bad settings, etc...), then return it for a different board. I honestly don't see that happening, though. You've all heard this before, but neither MSI nor Pny have failed me yet.
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:08:53 PM

You have a good point about the GPU... but I'm keeping my board and CPU how they are now.

Without changing anything else, what single GPU would you recommend over the double 250's without spending more than like $300?
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:09:27 PM

@SomeGuyNamedMatt... You are correct... It is an additional cost of roughly $100 for a system that is better for the OP's task (Photo Editing & 3D Rendering). At the same time, running two GPU's will provide no benefit to in those task and the GTS 250 isn't a very good GPU. The OP would be better off with an i5 750 with an ATI 5770, which will provide close to the same performance level.

I'm not saying your build is bad, it is a very good build for the price but there benefits with the i5 750 for the OP's needs.
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:11:40 PM

I hate to sound rude, but if you take some time to check out some benchmarks, dual 250's actually smoked the 285 on a good board, and they got about the same as it on an nForce board which was actually pretty close to the one he has right now.

IMHO, I feel that an OC'd 955 is more power than you'd ever really need. Sure you can save about 1 to 2 seconds off a load/render time with an i5, but is it really worth another $100?
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:23:36 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
I don't even think Intel's going to be releasing anything for the 1156 anymore, either, so you'd better hope you don't see anything else you like. :) 

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but they're releasing more Core i7's for the P55 chipset as well as an entire new line of processors codenamed Sandy Bridge. Do your research before you say stuff like that. But I think this and this should do much better in all the fields that you will use it in than the Phenom II X4 ever could, for just $30 more.

EDIT:
Quote:
IMHO, I feel that an OC'd 955 is more power than you'd ever really need. Sure you can save about 1 to 2 seconds off a load/render time with an i5, but is it really worth another $100?
Sweet Jesus, @SomeGuyNamedMatt, where do you get your numbers? you can get a comparable P55 motherboard for the same amount as his AM3 and a Core i5 750 for $30-$30 more. That small amount is so worth it if you want to do anything other than gaming.
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:28:28 PM

Quote:
Sweet Jesus, dude, where do you get your numbers?
Now that you say it, I'm not entirely sure... All I know is that I took a cheap SLI-ready board with an i5 and that's what it came out as...
If you look at that motherboard, unless I missed something, it is not SLI ready. The whole idea behind getting an SLI setup was the support for nVidia OpenGL 3.x, which is used by many higher-end rendering programs. Don't ask me why most Radeon cards don't work with it... it must be marketing or something. Talk to Al if you want to know more about that...

Quote:
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but they're releasing more Core i7's for the P55 chipset as well as an entire new line of processors
codenamed Sandy Bridge

What? That's for the 1156? Huh... I was thinking that was for the 1366 socket for some reason. Sorry... my bad...

Oh, and the reason for the dual graphics cards is that in the first topic, he said that he might end up running two monitors off of it... that would really speed things up...

EDIT

Also, note that their definition of Crossfire on that is X16/X4... I'm pretty sure that would do absolutely nothing to help
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:34:27 PM

So is that board SLI ready or no? I was about to checkout.
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:37:17 PM

I don't really know to be honest. It says that the CPU Type is i7 in the specs, though... it should still support an i5, I think... and nowhere at all can I find that it's SLI ready.

EDIT

You're talking about what blueflannel said, right? There's nothing wrong with the original build... everyone just wants you to spend some more for an i5 system instead of an AMD one... that's pretty much it... :) 
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:46:42 PM

Ok I just checked out. So is there any thing else I need to get my system up and running besides a monitor? You said earlier I need another SATA cable... could you tell me what size it should be?
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:47:45 PM

i would stick with what you have there but if youre considering an i5 instead i would get a phenom ii x6 1055t instead- similar price and 6-core v 4core

also why not ditch the gts 250 sli and get a 470 if your partial to nvidia or even better a 5850
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:52:46 PM

Ok I replaced the two 250's with the 5850. Can I get some confirmation that it is compatible?
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:53:54 PM

I lied about checking out :p 

So get the 5850? That seems safer than getting two 250's...
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:55:24 PM

Well, I've been saying this a lot, but I'm not really sure what size it should be. Uhh, I've got my CM 690 II case right beside me (yep, it's what I use too), and it's about 2.5 feet from corner to corner, so a 3 foot cable should be long enough.

A hexa-core would also be nice, but you'd give up some gaming performance in order to get the extra 2 cores. I'm not sure if that board supports hexa-core processors either, though... it probably isn't worth the risk to be honest.
m
l
May 9, 2010 8:56:52 PM

If you don't want nVidia cards, then I'd get a better motherboard, too. I hate to admit it, but the nForce chipset does tend to be a little less dependable than other AMD ones.
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:00:12 PM

I just replaced the 5850 with the GTX 470 (I got the superclocked version). You guys are literally stabbing my wallet right now. But my dad is paying for half of it so it is probably worth those extra dollars.
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:02:00 PM

Man, every time I edit something, someone ends up posting something else here. :) 

Since you probably don't plan on SLI'ing GTX 4xx cards, I'd still get a little better motherboard...

I'll find something for you. It'll be cheap.. I promise... :) 
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:03:51 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
If you don't want SLI, then I'd get a better motherboard, too. I hate to admit it, but the nForce chipset does tend to be a little less dependable than other AMD ones.

Omg you are trying to make me go broke aren't you?

Any suggestions?
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:05:24 PM

My current board will be fine, won't it? It isn't like it is a piece of junk that gets a BSoD every week.
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:08:18 PM

Lol, true... yeah, I can't find anything better, either.

Just remember, though, you won't be able to put multiple Radeon cards in there... only nVidia... You'll have to ask someone whether or not that PSU is good enough for two 470's if you ever want to upgrade...
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:10:09 PM

Almost every review about the GTX 470 says it is really hot and loud... hmm
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:18:55 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
yeah, that's what I was saying... you'd almost be better with a crossfire board and a 5850

EDIT

maybe you could replace the 250's with some cheap 260's if you wanted more graphics performance

could you afford 2 of these in SLI with that nForce board?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Uhm I think I'll stick with the GTX 470 (not the clocked one), I'm sure the noise won't be bad.
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:20:44 PM

I understand. :) 
Well, good luck then. I'm fairly sure that we've argued over every single component in your new PC. xD
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:23:37 PM

You need to figure out whether or not the programs you are using utilize CUDA, because if it does that changes everything. A CUDA card will do much better at photo editing and rendering if you're using the right programs, and can game to boot. Whereas an ATI card won't be able to do nearly as good a job at the more important tasks, but will game a whole lot better for the price.

Tell us what programs you are using, including what games you're trying to play and we'll figure this out
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:25:42 PM

vigorvermin said:
You need to figure out whether or not the programs you are using utilize CUDA, because if it does that changes everything. A CUDA card will do much better at photo editing and rendering if you're using the right programs, and can game to boot. Whereas an ATI card won't be able to do nearly as good a job at the more important tasks, but will game a whole lot better for the price.

Tell us what programs you are using, including what games you're trying to play and we'll figure this out

The CS5 suite for photo and video editing. Maya and 3DS Max for 3D rendering. WoW and other games.
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:27:32 PM

Ok so

2x A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1333GB2G8-2G

and

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

and

MSI 790X-G45 AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

and

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX

is all compatible? (I'm dieing to press the checkout button)
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:31:15 PM

How the hell did I miss that...
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:33:21 PM

Can you copy everything over you your wishlist and put it up here so I can check it when you're done? That would be a lot easier...
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:36:23 PM

And my dad is giving me a pretty nice monitor so I don't have to worry about that
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:41:58 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
Can you copy everything over you your wishlist and put it up here so I can check it when you're done? That would be a lot easier...

Here it is: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/ [...] r=12915345

Just making sure you got it
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:42:47 PM

Well, I only see one thing that I forgot to tell you about...

You'll need some thermal grease to go along with that cooler... I forgot because the one I bought came with it...

Aside from that, everything checks out. I'd double-check everything before ordering it, but other than that, good luck with your build, and I hope everything works out for you. :) 
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:46:06 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
Well, I only see one thing that I forgot to tell you about...

You'll need some thermal grease to go along with that cooler... I forgot because the one I bought came with it...

Aside from that, everything checks out. I'd double-check everything before ordering it, but other than that, good luck with your build, and I hope everything works out for you. :) 

Thank you, thank you for all your help! If I have any trouble building I might come back here, or I might post pictures when it is all done...

m
l
May 9, 2010 9:48:51 PM

No problem. I'm always glad to help... and honestly, I think your PC would easily out-perform the one I'm running right now that cost pretty much the same.

Be sure to do a lot of reading on assembly, especially cooler installation. From experience, I can say that it was easily the hardest thing to install, and was also the thing I screwed up three times on. I'd search up on Overclocking, too, but it comes pretty easily once you get everything put together.

Quote:
If I have any trouble building I might come back here, or I might post pictures when it is all done...

Feel free to do so! And we love seeing pictures here at Tom's!

Oh, and once you build it, you should know this the first time you power it on: You're lucky if it goes through POST and installs Windows the first try. Normally, it takes a little bit of tinkering to get everything set right, but if you have any trouble at all, just ask someone here, and they'll be glad to help.

Good luck, and have fun with your build!
m
l
!