Slow XP Boot

January 18, 2005 11:26:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

When windows is loading the little scroll bar starts out at a normal speed
but about 6 seconds into loading it slows down to a crawl. I can hit any
keyboard key once, sometimes twice and then I goes right back to normal and
loads the GUI within 2 secs. If I don't press anything it takes almost 90
more seconds to fully load. I've gone as far as reloading XP and loading
service pack two with all current updates. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

Note: All three hard drives are 7200 rpm with 8mb cache. Windows drive is
120gb, slave 180gb, secondary master 200gb. With 2 512mb memory sticks which
I have tried replacing.

More about : slow boot

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:26:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

What is running at startup? Do a Start | Run | msconfig. Click the
Startup tab and look to see what's running. Start "unchecking" the
boxes to identify what program may be causing it.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:13:31 PM

Bill Maxwell wrote:

> When windows is loading the little scroll bar starts out at a normal speed
> but about 6 seconds into loading it slows down to a crawl. I can hit any
> keyboard key once, sometimes twice and then I goes right back to normal and
> loads the GUI within 2 secs. If I don't press anything it takes almost 90
> more seconds to fully load. I've gone as far as reloading XP and loading
> service pack two with all current updates. Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Note: All three hard drives are 7200 rpm with 8mb cache. Windows drive is
> 120gb, slave 180gb, secondary master 200gb. With 2 512mb memory sticks which
> I have tried replacing.

If booted the XP CD to "Repair" your system, it is most likely that any
ad-ware, spyware or trojan you have is still there. The registry is
still interacts and when the trojan starts up.

Three of 4 machines brought to me in the last week have been infected,
and in each case, one of the following exists:

1. Adware removal tool found it and said it was removed, but a re-scan
finds it still there.

2. Adware removal tools and anti-virus do NOT find it.

3. Trojan has more than one component that "watches" each other, and if
one gets killed or removed, the other ones restart it. These are really
tough to handle.

Carl
January 18, 2005 1:13:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Carl,

Have you tried running the new MS AntiSpyware (BETA)? Here's the link:

John

"Carl lackey" <clackey3@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Bill Maxwell wrote:
>
>> When windows is loading the little scroll bar starts out at a normal
>> speed but about 6 seconds into loading it slows down to a crawl. I can
>> hit any keyboard key once, sometimes twice and then I goes right back to
>> normal and loads the GUI within 2 secs. If I don't press anything it
>> takes almost 90 more seconds to fully load. I've gone as far as reloading
>> XP and loading service pack two with all current updates. Any ideas would
>> be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Note: All three hard drives are 7200 rpm with 8mb cache. Windows drive is
>> 120gb, slave 180gb, secondary master 200gb. With 2 512mb memory sticks
>> which I have tried replacing.
>>

> If booted the XP CD to "Repair" your system, it is most likely that any
> ad-ware, spyware or trojan you have is still there. The registry is still
> interacts and when the trojan starts up.
>
> Three of 4 machines brought to me in the last week have been infected, and
> in each case, one of the following exists:
>
> 1. Adware removal tool found it and said it was removed, but a re-scan
> finds it still there.
>
> 2. Adware removal tools and anti-virus do NOT find it.
>
> 3. Trojan has more than one component that "watches" each other, and if
> one gets killed or removed, the other ones restart it. These are really
> tough to handle.
>
> Carl
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:55:01 PM

Check Device Manager for unknown/improperly installed devices. Install/update
drivers as needed.

Then check Event Viewer (Start - > Settings -> Control Panel - >
Administrative Tools - > Event Viewer) for possible clues.

How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

Good Luck!

---
Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

"Bill Maxwell" wrote:

> When windows is loading the little scroll bar starts out at a normal speed
> but about 6 seconds into loading it slows down to a crawl. I can hit any
> keyboard key once, sometimes twice and then I goes right back to normal and
> loads the GUI within 2 secs. If I don't press anything it takes almost 90
> more seconds to fully load. I've gone as far as reloading XP and loading
> service pack two with all current updates. Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Note: All three hard drives are 7200 rpm with 8mb cache. Windows drive is
> 120gb, slave 180gb, secondary master 200gb. With 2 512mb memory sticks which
> I have tried replacing.

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:39:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I've run every spyware program (spybot, adaware, MS Antispyware). I've
scaned with Norton and Trendmicro's housecall. And came up with nothhing.
I've formated my machine about 2 months ago and that didn't solve the
problem. The only thing running on startup is Norton Antivirus.

"John Blaustein" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> Carl,
>
> Have you tried running the new MS AntiSpyware (BETA)? Here's the link:
>
> John
>
> "Carl lackey" <clackey3@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Bill Maxwell wrote:
>>
>>> When windows is loading the little scroll bar starts out at a normal
>>> speed but about 6 seconds into loading it slows down to a crawl. I can
>>> hit any keyboard key once, sometimes twice and then I goes right back to
>>> normal and loads the GUI within 2 secs. If I don't press anything it
>>> takes almost 90 more seconds to fully load. I've gone as far as
>>> reloading XP and loading service pack two with all current updates. Any
>>> ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Note: All three hard drives are 7200 rpm with 8mb cache. Windows drive
>>> is 120gb, slave 180gb, secondary master 200gb. With 2 512mb memory
>>> sticks which I have tried replacing.
>>>

>> If booted the XP CD to "Repair" your system, it is most likely that any
>> ad-ware, spyware or trojan you have is still there. The registry is
>> still interacts and when the trojan starts up.
>>
>> Three of 4 machines brought to me in the last week have been infected,
>> and in each case, one of the following exists:
>>
>> 1. Adware removal tool found it and said it was removed, but a re-scan
>> finds it still there.
>>
>> 2. Adware removal tools and anti-virus do NOT find it.
>>
>> 3. Trojan has more than one component that "watches" each other, and if
>> one gets killed or removed, the other ones restart it. These are really
>> tough to handle.
>>
>> Carl

January 18, 2005 3:49:56 PM

Bill Maxwell wrote:

> I've run every spyware program (spybot, adaware, MS Antispyware). I've
> scaned with Norton and Trendmicro's housecall. And came up with nothhing.
> I've formated my machine about 2 months ago and that didn't solve the
> problem. The only thing running on startup is Norton Antivirus.
>
> "John Blaustein" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Carl,
>>
>>Have you tried running the new MS AntiSpyware (BETA)? Here's the link:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>>John
>>
>>"Carl lackey" <clackey3@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>If booted the XP CD to "Repair" your system, it is most likely that any
>>>ad-ware, spyware or trojan you have is still there. The registry is
>>>still interacts and when the trojan starts up.
>>>
>>>Three of 4 machines brought to me in the last week have been infected,
>>>and in each case, one of the following exists:
>>>
>>>1. Adware removal tool found it and said it was removed, but a re-scan
>>>finds it still there.
>>>
>>>2. Adware removal tools and anti-virus do NOT find it.
>>>
>>>3. Trojan has more than one component that "watches" each other, and if
>>>one gets killed or removed, the other ones restart it. These are really
>>>tough to handle.
>>>
>>>Carl

Since formatting the PC didn't solve the problem, it is almost certainly
not related to spyware/adware/trojans, etc.

I would look into updating device drivers for your PC and its
peripherals, as well as applying all appropriate OS and application patches.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:08:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Bill

The scan by Norton will take some time. Have you tried measuring it's
impact?

Have the looked at the timing of reports in the System section of Event
Viewer? Are there any error reports?

Have you tried HiJackThis?

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bill Maxwell" <sam@nodamnspam.com> wrote in message
> I've run every spyware program (spybot, adaware, MS Antispyware). I've
> scaned with Norton and Trendmicro's housecall. And came up with
> nothhing. I've formated my machine about 2 months ago and that didn't
> solve the problem. The only thing running on startup is Norton
> Antivirus.
>
> "John Blaustein" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Carl,
>>
>> Have you tried running the new MS AntiSpyware (BETA)? Here's the
>> link:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> John
>>
>> "Carl lackey" <clackey3@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> If booted the XP CD to "Repair" your system, it is most likely that
>>> any ad-ware, spyware or trojan you have is still there. The
>>> registry is still interacts and when the trojan starts up.
>>>
>>> Three of 4 machines brought to me in the last week have been
>>> infected, and in each case, one of the following exists:
>>>
>>> 1. Adware removal tool found it and said it was removed, but a
>>> re-scan finds it still there.
>>>
>>> 2. Adware removal tools and anti-virus do NOT find it.
>>>
>>> 3. Trojan has more than one component that "watches" each other, and
>>> if one gets killed or removed, the other ones restart it. These are
>>> really tough to handle.
>>>
>>> Carl

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:17:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Carl,

My DSL service used static IP addresses. My cable service uses dynamic IP
addresses.

I don't recall installing any special driver for my firewire card reader, so
it must be the Windows XP Home driver that is not responding to the Windows
Shutdown command.

John

"Carl lackey" <clackey3@earthlink.net> wrote in message
SNIP