I_know_nothing

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hey everyone, quick question. I am building a new system and intend to put the following in it so far:

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w
i5-2500k (Possibly i7-2600k if I get the job I interviewed for)
P8P67 LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard

I have picked out two ideas because I am on a budget but would like a good amount of ram. I am leaning towards the G.Skill becase it would leave me 2 more expansion slots open for later. If you have any other suggestions for $70 or so let me know. Thanks!

Patriot Sector 5 1333 (4x2GB) ($70 after tax and MIR)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0317832

G.Skill RipJaw Series 1333 (2x4GB) ($70)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB 1333 (2 x 4GB) ($73)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417

Solution
None of the above. They are not designed for Sany Bridge. The G.Skill Ripjaw X model is. There have been lots of issues with RAM and the Sandy Bridge setups. Do a search on this site and see what I mean. I suggest you only buy RAM shown on the QVL (ASUS Qualified Vendor's List on their web site under the particular model board you are buiying) and also suggest you use 1333MHZ RAM, that runs to spec at 1.5v.

There is very little if any discernible difference between 1333 & 1600 MHz RAM....1-3 fps playing a game in actual use. So, save your money and get 8GB Kingston ValueRAM 2x4GB DIMM's. Unlike some cheaper RAM, Kingston makes solid and dependable product and backs it for a lifetime. It is on the QVL and works perfectly...

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
None of the above. They are not designed for Sany Bridge. The G.Skill Ripjaw X model is. There have been lots of issues with RAM and the Sandy Bridge setups. Do a search on this site and see what I mean. I suggest you only buy RAM shown on the QVL (ASUS Qualified Vendor's List on their web site under the particular model board you are buiying) and also suggest you use 1333MHZ RAM, that runs to spec at 1.5v.

There is very little if any discernible difference between 1333 & 1600 MHz RAM....1-3 fps playing a game in actual use. So, save your money and get 8GB Kingston ValueRAM 2x4GB DIMM's. Unlike some cheaper RAM, Kingston makes solid and dependable product and backs it for a lifetime. It is on the QVL and works perfectly without a hitch (it is what I use for an almost identical setup to what you are buying). Also note that Intel recommends either 1066 MHZ or 1333 MHZ for the new SB CPU's. After this, make sure you put the DIMM's in the correct slot (A2 & B2) and update the BIOS for the board to the 1000 series. You should be good to go and have years of enjoyment from your new system. SB is a great new design that is setting speed records all over. Enjoy.

Solution

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Not designed for sandy bridge? Care to show proof of that statement? Not being on the vendors list means almost nothing in regards to function. It just means they won't officially support that ram if you don't know how to set it up. The G.Skills I'm running aren't on the QVL for my board and they work perfectly.

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Okay, I guess you have not been keeping up with the issue as closely as I have. There are differences in the XMP specs between 1155 & 1156 socket CPU's. There is also issues with voltage of the RAM. Some 1.65v stuff works, some not. RAM that is fine in the old 1156 socket doesn't always work well with Sandy Bridge (but some do). From the sounds of things, you have been one of the lucky ones that did okay. There are literally thousands of SB buyers that have had nothing but headaches with RAM. Don't believe me? Well then you have not been reading all the forums from around the world.

I say again: It is critical to a smooth build and no hassle experience to buy RAM that is on the QVL. :eek:

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
You might be right if you leave the ram settings on auto, simply set them up correctly and no worries. 1.65 is max voltage for the integrated memory controller... The specs clearly state voltages from 1.5 to 1.65. You do realize half or more of the good memory out there isn't on QVL list right?