Still confused I would like to change my Video card for a better one

prbude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
I hope I did this right?, I have looked at some of the posting but I am still confused I would like to change my Video card for a better one to play “ WOW “ “STO “ “Champ” Ect. And I was wondering if any one has any input. I’m fairly new I do believe without changing any of my computers specs the video card is the next best way. I do not know how to over clock and I’m a complete moron when to computer teck but I am a gamer and I hope to learn more as time goes on.
Thanks for your consideration

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 2 Cores - 2 Threads
CPU PSN : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+
CPU EXT : MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1, 2, 3), x86-64, AMD-V
CPUID : F.B.2 / Extended : F.6B
CPU Cache : L1 : 2 x 64 / 2 x 64 KB - L2 : 2 x 512 KB
Core : Brisbane (65 nm) / Stepping : BH-G2
Freq : 2814.68 MHz (201.05 * 14)
MB Brand : Asus
MB Model : M2N-SLI
NB : NVIDIA nForce4 rev A3
SB : NVIDIA nForce4 MCP rev F3
GPU Type : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
GPU Clocks : Core 459 MHz / RAM 399 MHz
DirectX Version : 9.0c
RAM : 4096 MB DDR2 Single Channel
RAM Speed : 312.7 MHz (Unknown) @ 5-5-5-15
Slot 1 : 2048MB (5300)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Kingston
Slot 2 : 2048MB (5300)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Kingston

First off - if you have 2-2gb ram modules then you should be running in dual channel mode instead of single channel (open your case and see if the 2 Ram modules are in the 2 color matched slots) -- In looking at your MOBO model it has 2 yellow and 2 brown slots and the modules should both be placed in matching colored slots so they will run in dual channel mode (which is much faster and will improve performaance of the system !!)

second you are correct the 8500GT video card is probably holding back the performance of games - in order to know what is the best fit for your system we would need to know what your budget is (the more you can spend the higher the performance of the card you can get to an extent !) - second we would need to know what Powersupply you currently are using - Open the case and look for a label on the powersupply that lists the Brand - Wattage and also the +12V amperage (the video card runs on the +12V and we need to know if yours will support certain video cards (different cards require different amounts of power and not having a powerful enough PSU will cause the system to be unstable) - so spending X dollars on a video card and trying to run it on too small a PSU would not work - so along with the budget if going for a powerful video card it may require a new PSU as well depending on what you have now.

EDIT : oh yeah also include what size monitor you use as the resolution you game at will make a difference in the needed video card to run it at decent speed !

Yes but a 5670 requires a 400W PSU and he probably has something more like a 250 or 300W PSU so whether it is actually a good fit will depend on the budget and the PSU in the system (and whether he wants to also buy a new PSU or not !!!)

General
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
CrossFireX Support Yes
Cooler With Fan
System Requirements 400 Watt or greater power (500 Watt for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
HDCP Ready Yes

May not require it but that is the recommended spec - again can get by on lower but depends on the quality of the PSU -- for a quality brand 300W would suffice but on a no name brand it would be asking for trouble !

Hmm - according to Tom's benches the card uses 76Watts running the 3dmark06 bench which is a bit more than 50W !! and adding another 95W for a non OC'd CPU brings it to 171W for just those 2 components - now add the rest of the components (DVD\CD drive - HDDs - 4gb. RAM - case fans - etc. and your pushing close to 80 to 90% usage on a 250 - 300W PSU which is closer than I'd be comfortable with for a stable system!! (you might feel differently but most PSUs run optimally at 50% load capacity or less - so on a system that is going to be running at 200W usage under load I'd want a minmum of a 400W PSU - but then I prefer a stable system !!)

Power.png