vertical777

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
hello everyone,
I came across this the other day and tried to input my pc specifications and told me that my minimum wattage should be 600W, I own a OCZ ModXtreme 600W psu and the reviews on these things made by OCZ are not good. here is the lowdown on what I have:

MOTHERBOARD: asus p7p55d
CPU: Intel i5-750
VGA: 2x ATI(Asus) HD 5770s crossfired
RAM: 2x 2GB DDR3
1 HDD
1 CD/DVD RW optical drive
3 case fans
2 devices plugged into the USB ports (a Dlink wifi dongle and a mouse)

I think that my psu is barely sustaining the needs of my PC and I'm planning to add 2-3 more fans and a HDD drive to it. do you guys think it can still handle it after that? the psu calculator, made by ASUS tells me that when I add these things I will need a MINIMUM of 650W. some reviews say that the new series of VGA cards need less power but I want to be on the safe side.

EDIT: after reading the psu/ graphic card guide that's stickied, I got this:
Recommended 37 Amps on 12 volt rail for single card and 50 Amps for crossfire. This card can run on lesser this is just recommended and will be able to run with at least 30 Amps on 12 volt rail.

yes, crossfire will run fine on the 600W, but will the added components be fine along with the cards?

PS: here's the psu specs:
348_15_full.jpg

I have the 600W one

Is that PSU actually a OCZ ModXtreme PRO 600W? If so it's actually quite a good PSU.
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets

That minimum 650W PSU recommendation from the Asus calculator would be for an average PSU. If you have a OCZ ModXtreme PRO 600W it's above average, and probably out performs a whole bunch of budget 650W generic PSU.

What case do you have and why do you feel the need to add more case fans? System temps out of whack?

vertical777

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
^ err, yep it says on the box "OCZ MOD X STREAM-PRO" I didn't know that there's a non-pro one :sweat: I thought the PRO there was just for show lol (It's also modular, if that helps)
EDIT:
the temps are pretty high because of my budget case(thermaltake WingRS 301, not really a gaming case), I'm planning to change to the HAF X in a few days(to help cool the stacked VGA cards). and maybe replace the stock cooler on the CPU in the next few weeks, I'm busy and not really been gaming lately so I'm sure it'll survive til then.

To be honest......that HAF X is wayyyyy more case than you need to get 2x 5770s (or 3x 5870s for that matter) cooled off nicely.

Look at a Lian Li Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62. You'll save enough to get a good CPU cooler. Something like CM Hyper 212 Plus / Thermalright Ultra Extreme (TRUE) / Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme

If you still think your PSU is going to be underpowered... for less than the cost of a HAF X you can get a Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 and XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W PSU combo
Also a good combo on the 750W model.

vertical777

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010

Good suggestions but, I want the HAF X to be the LAST case I buy (for this setup atleast). so I'm free to upgrade the inner workings in the future (the haf X will be legacy in a decade though :) )

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

What you should have done is get the model that pushes air out of the case to begin with. The stock model :p.

vertical777

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
another thing:
what's better: a midtower case for a regular ATX motherboard or a fulltower for a regular ATX motherboard? or there's no difference in terms of temperature

say I put my ATX mobo in a HAF 922 and compare the temps with it in the HAF X

There is zero difference in performance. Usually you pick a full tower case for an E-ATX motherboard on an ususually large number of HDDs or a tri/quad CF/SLI setup. Or maybe for extra room for internal water cooling.
Mid-towers cost less, take up less space and can keep a system just as cool, everything else being equal.