I built my system yesterday, with an 120GB SSD as a boot drive and a 1TB HDD for other random stuff. I stupidly installed in IDE (I know , retarded). I didn't do the stupid change of changing BIOS to RAID, to avoid BSOD mayhem.
HOWEVER, I want to know your thoughts on what I should do next.
Firstly, there are many (not so up to date) workarounds with registry hacks, I am tempted to give it a go, but is it worth it? The system is very newly built so a complete reinstall wouldn't be a nightmare.
Secondly, I installed using Windows 7 OEM. If I was to wipe the system, how would I go about doing so? If I plug the disk back in and reinstall, will I be able to access the BIOS before installation and change to RAID?
There are no risks if you follow the instructions correctly, but yes, a fresh install is best.
Hmmm I see. Do you mean that the performance be worst than a fresh install or do you just mean reliability of changing from IDE to AHCI working?
If I was to fresh install, do I simply :
(1) Put the windows disk in the drive and delete HDD partition
(2) Shutdown and unplug HDD for the moment
(3) Turn on and enter the BIOS and change to AHCI
(4) Save and exit
(5) Enter the Windows 7 CD automatically, and choose reinstall
(6) Choose to overwrite the SSD partition for my current Windows 7