IDE to RAID - Question! Advice on W7 Reinstall

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hey all :) Thanks in advance!

I built my system yesterday, with an 120GB SSD as a boot drive and a 1TB HDD for other random stuff. I stupidly installed in IDE (I know :pfff: , retarded). I didn't do the stupid change of changing BIOS to RAID, to avoid BSOD mayhem.

HOWEVER, I want to know your thoughts on what I should do next.

Firstly, there are many (not so up to date) workarounds with registry hacks, I am tempted to give it a go, but is it worth it? The system is very newly built so a complete reinstall wouldn't be a nightmare.

Secondly, I installed using Windows 7 OEM. If I was to wipe the system, how would I go about doing so? If I plug the disk back in and reinstall, will I be able to access the BIOS before installation and change to RAID?

Thanks very much once again,
TkTk :)

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Are there many risks associated with doing this as opposed to simply reinstalling windows? Will I get less performance etc?
Thanks for the quick response.

TkTk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Hmmm I see. Do you mean that the performance be worst than a fresh install or do you just mean reliability of changing from IDE to AHCI working?

If I was to fresh install, do I simply :

(1) Put the windows disk in the drive and delete HDD partition
(2) Shutdown and unplug HDD for the moment
(3) Turn on and enter the BIOS and change to AHCI
(4) Save and exit
(5) Enter the Windows 7 CD automatically, and choose reinstall
(6) Choose to overwrite the SSD partition for my current Windows 7

?

Thanks again :)

The vast majority of times a registry edit will give you the same performance as a fresh install. Once in a blue moon someone will edit their registry and performance is still not where it should be.

Your steps to do the install are ok.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I made the same mistake. I installed Windows 7 not knowing anything about AHCI. Anyhow I changed my BIOS and re-install Windows. I will not mess up with the register on a newly built PC.