Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sapphire ATI Radeon 4670 has vertical flickering snow...?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2010 7:41:18 PM

I just bought an ATI 4670 and it has a weird display issue where it displays vertical lines of flickering snow (usually green when the background is black), and happens most during video playback. It's not a monitor issue because when I pause the video the snow stops moving (although it still flickers) and travels with the window if I move the window.

Is this a defective GPU card? I downloaded the latest drivers which seemed to make it better, but it's still pretty annoying. It happens (or at least is only noticable) on pretty much on any application showing black. I d/l'd GPU-Z but the temperatures seem normal at around 35C.

Anyone have ideas?

More about : sapphire ati radeon 4670 vertical flickering snow

April 10, 2010 8:11:40 PM

...Just swapped in an identical spare card - no change. Can one update the bios on this thing? Is there a test program I can run?
m
l

Best solution

April 10, 2010 8:38:08 PM

OK here is one trick some professionals do when testing cards. Load fraps in a movie or a game hit F10 to take a snap then close the movie or game then send it to a flash drive then view the file on another pc. If the picture looks normal then it may not be the card so after wards check the monitor cable of any adapters that you are using.
Related resources
April 10, 2010 8:44:37 PM

I figured it out! Loose cable on the monitor - can you believe that!? I wouldn't have figured it out had I not turned the monitor and made it much worse.

Your test was something I had also tries to help narrow it down, and you're right the snow wasn't on the image. ...but the moving snow really threw me off the monitor - it must be an artifact of the digital video input (sending across mutliple simultaneous frames of video).
m
l
April 10, 2010 8:47:23 PM

mariod505 said:
I figured it out! Loose cable on the monitor - can you believe that!? I wouldn't have figured it out had I not turned the monitor and made it much worse.

Your test was something I had also tries to help narrow it down, and you're right the snow wasn't on the image. ...but the moving snow really threw me off the monitor - it must be an artifact of the digital video input (sending across mutliple simultaneous frames of video).

Has the monitor seen a LOT of use between different machines? By the way which connector type is it using, DVI, vga, HDMI?

m
l
April 10, 2010 8:51:31 PM

Best answer selected by mariod505.
m
l
!