Tomb Raider 1

Last response: in Video Games
May 8, 2004 7:47:05 PM

Hi,
I've just got Tomb Raider 1 (better late than never I suppose) and tried to
install it, but it wouldn't install, I managed to get it to work somehow but
now I've noticed that:
1. I can't save game
2. The graphics are really bad
3. There is no sound.
Does anyone have any possible solutions to this? I am using Windows XP
Professional, also I'm not really very good with computers so if you do
reply plz could u keep it simple lol :-)
Thanks loads I'm really lost.
Tom Greaves

More about : tomb raider

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 7:47:06 PM

TR1 works on all versions of Windows. There are instructions, and an installer,
at http://www.glidos.net, which cover use with or without Glidos.

** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html

**savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1pictu...
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

** GTA III vice City Character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

NFS: drive at the limits of tyre adhesion ! snag Lara's Croftraider IV sports car ! !
NFS3:NFS4
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#raider

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#blondstranger
NFS:HS - Reg method to add your d3d card to NFS:HS
NFS III - Reg method to add your d3d card to NFS:HP
-=-=-
Mad Onion - 3DMark 2001 and 3DMark 2001se -
{not the Pro} 4x4 Missile Launcher Truck Secret Game Demo screen snaps
(and secret password)
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dmark2001.html
-=-=-

http://www.smokeypoint.com/medipak.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1midas...

"Tom Greaves" <tom03_660@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: Hi,
: I've just got Tomb Raider 1 (better late than never I suppose) and tried to
: install it, but it wouldn't install, I managed to get it to work somehow but
: now I've noticed that:
: 1. I can't save game
: 2. The graphics are really bad
: 3. There is no sound.
: Does anyone have any possible solutions to this? I am using Windows XP
: Professional, also I'm not really very good with computers so if you do
: reply plz could u keep it simple lol :-)
: Thanks loads I'm really lost.
: Tom Greaves
:
:

May 8, 2004 9:08:32 PM

Tom Greaves wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just got Tomb Raider 1 (better late than never I suppose) and
> tried to install it, but it wouldn't install, I managed to get it to
> work somehow but now I've noticed that:
> 1. I can't save game
> 2. The graphics are really bad
> 3. There is no sound.
> Does anyone have any possible solutions to this? I am using Windows XP
> Professional, also I'm not really very good with computers so if you
> do reply plz could u keep it simple lol :-)
> Thanks loads I'm really lost.
> Tom Greaves

You're running TR1 from the CD, not the hd, if you're not able to save
games. Be sure you're running it from a shortcut that points to the
C:\TOMBRAID folder :)

Yes, graphics are really bad in stock game.

No, XP does NOT like giving direct access to the sound hardware, so DOS
games don't get sound....exactly. It's still possible.

Go to www.glidos.net and read up on all the Tombraider stuff there.
You'll find out everything you need to get TR running right, then
looking and sounding good.
McG.
May 8, 2004 9:34:56 PM

"Tom Greaves" <tom03_660@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've just got Tomb Raider 1 (better late than never I suppose) and tried
> install it, but it wouldn't install, I managed to get it to work somehow
but
> now I've noticed that:
> 1. I can't save game

I don't think you could back then? Apart from save crystals?

> 2. The graphics are really bad

The game is very old!

> 3. There is no sound.

:(

> Does anyone have any possible solutions to this? I am using Windows XP
> Professional, also I'm not really very good with computers so if you do
> reply plz could u keep it simple lol :-)
> Thanks loads I'm really lost.
> Tom Greaves

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 9:34:57 PM

David Sadtwat wrote:
> "Tom Greaves" <tom03_660@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>I've just got Tomb Raider 1 (better late than never I suppose) and tried

>>install it, but it wouldn't install, I managed to get it to work somehow
>
> but
>
>>now I've noticed that:
>>1. I can't save game
>

> I don't think you could back then? Apart from save crystals?

he's on a PC, should be able to save anywhere.

Tom - what error do you get when you try to save?

>>2. The graphics are really bad
>

> The game is very old!

maybe glidos would help?

erik
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 10:04:00 PM

There are various patches available for the gaming issues, the no sound
issue can be sorted by selecting one of the two soundblaster options in
setup, and the nasty graphics issues can be avoided by using Glidos. Do a
search for glidos to find it. It may also make the game run faster and with
less issues in it's own right.

Kieran

"Tom Greaves" <tom03_660@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've just got Tomb Raider 1 (better late than never I suppose) and tried
> install it, but it wouldn't install, I managed to get it to work somehow
but
> now I've noticed that:
> 1. I can't save game
> 2. The graphics are really bad
> 3. There is no sound.
> Does anyone have any possible solutions to this? I am using Windows XP
> Professional, also I'm not really very good with computers so if you do
> reply plz could u keep it simple lol :-)
> Thanks loads I'm really lost.
> Tom Greaves

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:50:02 AM

Get Glidos from www.glidos.net

> 3. There is no sound.

Get vdmsound, there's a link for this at the glidos web page.

On some systems, like mine, I had to run Glidos / TR1 in windowed
mode once, before I could get it to run in full screen mode.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:04:58 PM

Hi, I have installed Gildos, and VDMSOUND and followed all the instructions
to install Gildos,
But now when I open Gildos and click Start Game, the screen loads, then goes
white and a warning box comes up saying 'You are running in a
non-accelerated Open GPL! Things can become very slow' so I click OK, then
everything closes down and a new message comes up saying 'Read Failure' and
I can't play the game. Does anyone have any solutions to this?
I have downloaded version Gildos_v1_28 and VMDsound2[1].1.0 I also
downloaded the installer wizard to help me. Do you have any idea how I can
fix this problem? Thanks loads. From Tom Greaves.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:04:59 PM

> non-accelerated Open GPL!

This sounds like a video card or driver issue. What video card
do you have.

> ... read failure

I'm not sure on this one. You can go back to www.glidos.net, join
the forum and ask about this, or email Paul directly.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 7:30:12 PM

> > non-accelerated Open GPL!
>
> This sounds like a video card or driver issue. What video card
> do you have.

I'm not sure...how do i find out what type of video card i have?

> > ... read failure
>
> I'm not sure on this one. You can go back to www.glidos.net, join
> the forum and ask about this, or email Paul directly.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 7:30:13 PM

> > This sounds like a video card or driver issue. What video card
> > do you have.
>
> I'm not sure...how do i find out what type of video card i have?

Try right clicking on the desktop, click on settings, then advanced,
this should show you what type of video card you have.

If the video card displays it's name at boot up, press shift-pause
at boot time to pause the computer so you can read the screen.

Otherwise, open up the computer and look at the card.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 12:57:49 PM

"Tom Greaves" <tom03_660@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c8dfnt$u5r$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi, I have installed Gildos, and VDMSOUND and followed all the instructions
> to install Gildos,
> But now when I open Gildos and click Start Game, the screen loads, then goes
> white and a warning box comes up saying 'You are running in a
> non-accelerated Open GPL! Things can become very slow' so I click OK, then
> everything closes down and a new message comes up saying 'Read Failure' and
> I can't play the game. Does anyone have any solutions to this?
> I have downloaded version Gildos_v1_28 and VMDsound2[1].1.0 I also
> downloaded the installer wizard to help me. Do you have any idea how I can
> fix this problem? Thanks loads. From Tom Greaves.

That's a common one. Graphics card manufacturer's supply drivers that support
Direct3D and OpenGL. Microsoft get hold of them and distribute just the
Direct3D bit. You need to get drivers directly from the card manufacturer's site
so that you run anything that uses OpenGL.

Cheers,
Paul.
!