Problems with my CD drive not recognizing blank discs!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 1:03:58 AM

I'm new to this forum, and I'm hoping for some good advice. I have a
Pavilion ze4145 laptop, and I am having trouble with my CD drive. It
plays most of my CDs, and DVDs. It reads fine from discs I've
created as well. It just won't recognize any blank discs that I put
in to burn. I have tried all brands, and can't get it to work. This
used to just be a sporadic thing, but now it's all of the time. Any
suggestions?

The drive is a Toshiba SD-R2212, about 1 year old.

I assure you, any effort made on my behalf is a noble one indeed, and
is GREATLY appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 1:03:59 AM

mrvader2u wrote:
> I'm new to this forum, and I'm hoping for some good advice. I have a
> Pavilion ze4145 laptop, and I am having trouble with my CD drive. It
> plays most of my CDs, and DVDs. It reads fine from discs I've
> created as well. It just won't recognize any blank discs that I put
> in to burn. I have tried all brands, and can't get it to work. This
> used to just be a sporadic thing, but now it's all of the time. Any
> suggestions?
>
> The drive is a Toshiba SD-R2212, about 1 year old.
>
> I assure you, any effort made on my behalf is a noble one indeed, and
> is GREATLY appreciated.

What burning software? What OS and Service Pack?

a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 4:06:17 AM

I'm using Windows XP, and the software is called Recordnow, and came
loaded in it. I was also using Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 6, but I
have since, uninstalled that. Once I did that, I was able to burn
one CD, but it only plays in this drive, and not on my stereo. I
have never had that problem before.
I have been unable to find any driver updates, and my device manager
tells me all is working properly.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 30, 2004 5:40:00 PM

I am wondering if you are trying to use "packet writing" (aka "UDF",
also known by the names of the software products "Direct CD",
"Drag-and-drop" and "InCD") instead of "real" ISO writing.

Packet writing requires that CDs be pre-formatted, and it won't
recognize them otherwise.

If this is the case, I strongly urge you to stop using packet writing.
It produces non-standard CDs that are never recognized in audio or media
devices, and that in the most general case can't even be read on another
computer unless that comptuer has a UDF driver installed.

You may have a true hardware problem with your burner, but what I'd urge
you to do would be to reinstall Roxio ECDC 6 and try that. [Note, by
default, installation of any Roxio product will install "Direct CD" as a
component, which is their Packet writing (UDF) product. I usually do a
"custom install" and de-select this item, although it's presence won't
cause a problem as long as you actually use the main application
("Creator Classic"] to do your disc creation.] It is IMPERATIVE that if
you install either Roxio or Nero, that you download and install all of
the [many] updates for the program. There have been a lot of changes to
all of the major burning programs over the years (in fact, over the months).

!