Turning off an ethernet port LED

Hello,

I have to unplug one of two possible cables. I don not have access to the site. How do I issue a command from ubuntu that will disable the LED on the correct port, in this case eth1?
7 answers Last reply
More about turning ethernet port
  1. Huh? I don't understand what you're trying to do. What kind of cables? Network (ethernet)? Cables connected to what? What "site"? LED port on what, your router, your network card?
  2. Hello Brenden. As far as I know, the lights of an ethernet port are hardwired, so if they are annoying you you will have to do some hardware hacking. If I am reading you correctly though in that you want to use them as a diagnostic tool, I am not sure what you are trying to diagnose, or if I am competent to answer you. Try expanding your question some and posting it in the Linux/Free BSD portion of this forum for fast attention from experts in unix commands. This isn't the wrong place to post this, but you will get better/faster answers there.
  3. elel said:
    Hello Brenden. As far as I know, the lights of an ethernet port are hardwired, so if they are annoying you you will have to do some hardware hacking. If I am reading you correctly though in that you want to use them as a diagnostic tool, I am not sure what you are trying to diagnose, or if I am competent to answer you. Try expanding your question some and posting it in the Linux/Free BSD portion of this forum for fast attention from experts in unix commands. This isn't the wrong place to post this, but you will get better/faster answers there.

I am after a ubuntu command that will disable the LED on the ethernet NIC while the rj45 is connected to it

Perhaps I have posted my question in the wrong place.
  4. eibgrad said:
    Huh? I don't understand what you're trying to do. What kind of cables? Network (ethernet)? Cables connected to what? What "site"? LED port on what, your router, your network card?

Perhaps I have placed my question in the wrong place, but I am after a ubuntu command that will disable the LED on the NIC while the rj45 is still connected to it. Basically I need to know what cable is connected to what NIC.
  5. Ok, that's kinda what I thought. No, you are not in the wrong place, you will just get people who know the answer to this (unlike me) faster over there. Good luck!
  6. I'm unaware of any programmatic means to disable the LED light(s) on your NIC. But I have seen it w/ other network devices. For example, I have an IP camera that has this option, which makes sense. By doing so, it remains stealthy. But that’s a device w/ embedded programming, so ANYTHING is possible in that case. But for your average PC's ethernet adapter? I guess it's always possible someone knows of a way, but I've never heard of it, nor even had someone request it until now.

There’s always duck tape! :)
  7. As I read it, he is looking for a way to identify which port is doing what by controlling the lighting patterns in a recognizable way, not to disable the lighting per say.
Ask a new question

Read More

LAN Ethernet Card LED Monitor Networking