Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will all of these parts work together?

Last response: in Systems
May 10, 2010 1:26:58 AM

Hi,

This will be the first time that I have built a custom computer (if I choose to buy this).

Anyway, I wanted to make sure that all of these parts will work together, and that I have everything that I need.

Speakers, monitor, mouse, keyboard and DVD drive are not included because I already have them (including a sound card).

Anyway, here is what I'm looking at:

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?...

With taxes and shipping, it comes to $1,595.22.

I wanted to know if I'll need to add anything like thermal paste. Apparently, the i7-930 comes with thermal pads, so will it be necessary? Also, I could save money by getting a non-modular PSU, but I don't know how cluttered everything will be. I would also save a good amount of money by buying a Rosewill PSU instead of Corsair, but from what I've found, Corsair is very reliable, and it seems that people have complained about Rosewill, so maybe it's worth the extra cash.

Is my cooling sufficient? And seeing as how my hard drive is bare, what do I need to get in order to get it to work?

Thanks!

More about : parts work

Best solution

May 10, 2010 1:53:47 AM

Decent build....

Comments:
1) You made the right call to go with the Corsair PSU. You don't want to risk you system with a Rosewill PSU.

2) Your motherboard will not support SLI, so I would recommend getting an ATI 5850 or switching to an SLI capable board like the ASRock X58 Extreme 3 (similar price) or ASUS P6X58D-E (a little more money)

3) Save some cash and go with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. It is faster and cheaper :) 

4) I would go with the G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 memory. They have better timings and cost less.

5) Pick yourself up an aftermarket CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It will provide better cooling than the stock Intel fan.
May 10, 2010 2:33:05 AM

tecmo34 said:
Decent build....

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

So I switched to the ASRock X58 Extreme 3 motherboard, Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drive, and G.SKILL RAM.

Regarding the CPU cooler: if I don't overclock, should I still go with that? I'm not sure if you were assuming that I'd OC or not. It's not a bad price, so - if needed/recommended - I'll definitely get it.

Also, my dad recently purchased Windows 7, and it came with the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. He installed the 32-bit version, so I was wondering if I'd be able to use the 64-bit CD for my new system. Would that work, or will I need to purchase Windows 7 for myself?
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2010 6:26:52 AM

1) If you are not overclocking, there is no need to purchase an aftermarket cooler. At the sametime, why not overclock you CPU? It is very easy to get it to 3.2 Ghz with minor adjustments for additional processing power.

It wouldn't hurt having the HSF in the end, so if the budget permits, I think it is a worth while investment. It will allow you the option to overclock, as you become more experienced or at best will provide better cooling (which is always good).

2) Did your Dad's copy come with two Keys or just one? If it came with just one Key, I think you'll need another liscense for Windows 7. You can just install the 64-bit version and use the key and see what happens. You might get lucky and the key can be used twice or at worse, you purchase a new key in 30-days and activate it with the new key. You won't be required to do a reinstall.
m
l
May 10, 2010 9:23:22 PM

tecmo34 said:
1) If you are not overclocking...

Okay - I think that I'll give overclocking a try (never done it before with a CPU).

Thanks for all of the help! I'm glad that I decided to come here.

Edit: there's one other thing that I was wondering: if I get four two-GB sticks of RAM (total of eight GB), will three of those sticks work in triple channel, or will it all just be dual channel?
m
l
May 10, 2010 9:23:40 PM

Best answer selected by Mad World.
m
l
!