To get a new case or not too, that is the question

chopsuey25

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hey,

Currently i have an Antec Sonata III stock, no mods or additional fans. my idle temps are 53C for my 5850 and 38C, 32C, 80C and 35C accoriding to speedfan on my 955. I believe the 80C is glitch right? right. When gaming the video card can get into the low/mid 80s which is kinda high i believe. The cpu gets into the mid 50s. There is no room to add another fan in my case unless i start cutting wholes which im not really into but is a possibility.

So with these temps im looking to get another fase with better airflow and possibly more fans. I was looking at the Antec 300 (i wanted the illusion but im in canada and would have to pay $100 from newegg for it, thats with shipping and taxes) and buying 1 or 2 extra fans to go with it.

Would anyone advise getting a different case? I am on a budget of about 70$ canadian total.(looking to sell the sonata and use that money and maybe a bit extra)

I've been looking at the antec 300, COOLER MASTER Elite 330 or even the rosewill challenger and destoryer. The case needs to fit a 5850, 955, corsair 750tx and a gigabyte 770ta ud3.

Thanks everyone and i'm looking forward to reading your input

Hello chopsuey25;

Apart from that reporting error of a core @ idle=80C you're temps aren't looking bad at all. CPU temps under 60C and GPU around 85C under load is right around the 'normal' range.

You can add an optional 120mm fan at the front of the case. It's what I would do in your position. And when you do move to a new case you can take the extra fan along with you. Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm Case Fan
Antec Sonata III Case Review @ Hardware Canucks

Solution

chopsuey25

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
thanks for the reply WR2, unfortunately my 5850 has rear power connectors which prevent me from installing another fan (which is why i was thinking of getting a new case)

the case did come with an adapter from a 120 to i believe a 80mm fan. if i can find it maybe i can mount it on the inside of the hard drive bays.

chopsuey25

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Alright thanks again WR2. Temps get checked about once a day or if its really hot outside everyone hour while gaming haha. I got my ac vents aimed in the direction of the front of the case so that should be helping too.