*9 Mb ram
*Intel Q9550 Core2 Quad 2.85 processor
*WD 1 Tb harddrive
*WD 750 GB harddrive
*SAPPHIRE HD 4870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E
*Kingwin Mach 1 800w modular ps
*HT|Omega Striker 7.1 soundcard
*Windows 7 Professional 64-bit o/s on 1TB hd

Just added 750GB hd to system for dual boot system with XP Pro 32-bit o/s (needed XP for older cad program). Everything worked great until I added drivers for video card in XP. Will not boot into XP, just goes to black screen and machine shuts off. Have tried every driver ATI and Sapphire has, but get same results. I have to boot up in safe mode and remove video drivers and system will boot into XP with generic driver. Windows 7 works fine with Sapphire drivers. Any idea on what could possibly cause conflict?

More about : sapphire 4870 pci

a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2010 6:18:05 AM

Try the master Driver from http://ATI.com. They have the most current drivers that all the Video Cards run off of. You should see the Driver Download Menu on the homepage. Just find your model and download the drivers. Hope that works. If not, you may want to reset your BIOS Memory. Look in your motherboard manual for how to Reset The CMOS Jumper Pins.

Also, how do you have your 9GB of RAM set in there? How many lanes do you have? The only reason I ask is becasue that is an odd amount to have, and I don't see how you have them paired right, unless you have 3 single lanes of 3GB sticks. As far as I know, they don't make 3GB sticks of RAM.
m
l
April 11, 2010 2:52:24 PM

Sorry about the typo, I have 8 megs of ram, 4 lanes of 2. I'll give the master driver a shot from ATI and see if that works. The thing that has me confused is everything works fine with the card when I boot up Win7, but will not boot when I go to XP. I have the latest bios from Gigabyte so that does't appear to be the problem. Appreciate the help. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2010 3:32:48 PM

I hope you don't mean megs of RAM. I think that was the amount of RAM the original Intel Pentiums used right? You have 8 gigabytes of RAM.
m
l
April 12, 2010 2:36:00 AM

Yes it is 8 gigs. I haven't had time to try the new drivers.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 3:48:49 PM

Quote:
ARE YOU JOKING? YOU HAVE ONLY 9MB RAM NOT 9GB RAM SURE?

HAHAHA!!!!

^
that's just a typo.

It would be nice if you correcting it instead of laughing...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:16:05 PM

wa1 said:
^
that's just a typo.

It would be nice if you correcting it instead of laughing...

Haha, yeah you have to be at a certain maturity to correct someone rather than laughing *cough*.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:35:23 PM

that is an odd problem. Hopefully once you get the XP drivers from ATI's site it will take care of it. If that doesn't do it, I would probably try a fresh format and install of XP.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:57:43 PM

One situation that happens is what version of xp32 bit is it? I've always noticed little differences with different install cd/dvd's even within the same generation. There will be xp32 sp1, sp2, even sp3 . Maybe the original has a slight hiccup with some hardware that was cleaned up in a service pack. Could possibly try installing the latest sp pack before updating the driver.
m
l
!