Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need a CPU Fan

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2010 3:44:46 PM

My CPU temps on my E6600(OC'ed to 3.00GHz) are ~56C idle, so I looked inside and saw that there was no fan attached to my heatsink(I have no idea why, I bought this desktop off craigslist). My heatsink is one of the things with the metal fins and I need a 120mm fan with the rubber mounts to put on it. Any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend alot, and I don't care about lights on the fan or if it's loud. I can deal with the noise. I just want a reliable one.

More about : cpu fan

a c 203 à CPUs
July 16, 2010 3:46:49 PM

Is there any type of shroud over the heatsink? Any clearance issues around the CPU socket?
Knowing the make/model of the computer....or the case would help.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2010 6:22:01 PM

The case is an antec P182, and I don't know if you need my mobo, but if you do, it's an Asus P5B. I don't believe it there are any components that will be in the way. I want the fan sucking in air from the front of the case and pushing it out towards the back where the exhaust fan goes, so the only thing near where the fan is is the RAM, but I don't think it's in the way.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2010 10:28:30 PM

bump - I'd really like to get my PC running ASAP(WoW subscription is going :(  )
Score
July 17, 2010 1:18:27 AM

clock it back to 2.4ghz and then you should be fine
Score
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2010 1:59:44 AM

Ty for the suggestions. As for clocking back to 2.4, first of all I do not know how to do this(bought pc used and I'm a noob at oc), and second of all, how much of a loss in performance will i see? The games I mainly play are Crysis, WoW, America's Army 3, Battlefield 2, and Battlefield 2142. Right now I can pretty much max them all out(no AA or AF on Crysis and no shadows on WoW). Would I still be able to do this if I clocked it back? And SAAIELLO, ty for the suggestion, but I don't see why I would replace my current heatsink when all I need is a fan. I have no trouble finding 120mm fans, I just can't tell if they come with the rubber mounting things. It seems that most only come with screws. I'm guessing it will be a lot better ordering one from newegg instead of picking one up from radioshack or bestbuy, but if that's the case I need one ASAP due to it taking time to ship. Once again, not looking for the dazzling lights and I don't mind if it's loud. I just need a reliable 120mm fan with rubber mounts to attach to my current heatsink. Also - I need to replace my rear case fan(120mm), so if someone could link one in addition to the CPU fan that would be helpful.
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
July 17, 2010 2:28:04 AM

trogdor796 said:
I just can't tell if they come with the rubber mounting things.
Neither can we.
I didn't find any separate heat sink fan (like a replacement fan) with rubber mountings and/or metal clips.
Without knowing the make and model of the heatsink we'd just be guessing - and thats not a good thing to do.

Replacement Antec Tri-cool case fan
Score
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2010 4:04:18 AM

WR2 said:
Neither can we.
I didn't find any separate heat sink fan (like a replacement fan) with rubber mountings and/or metal clips.
Without knowing the make and model of the heatsink we'd just be guessing - and thats not a good thing to do.

Replacement Antec Tri-cool case fan

Ty for the link to a case fan. As for my CPU heatsink, I can't seem to locate the exact model online. However, I can tell you that it is VERY similar to this one(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). The outside shape is slightly different, but I just cannot for the love of god find mine anywhere. Think you guys could help if I uploaded some pictures of mine? And I realized I have made a mistake in thinking I need a 120mm cpu fan. My case fans are 120mm and I held one up to my heatsink and it's too big. I'm most likely looking for a 92mm one. IT also seems that the fan is supposed to be mounted on the bottom of my heatsink and blow towards the fan on top if my case, instead of on the side and blow towards the back of the case. I will try to upload a pic of my heatsink tomorrow morning.
Score

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
July 17, 2010 4:30:41 AM

trogdor796 said:
TThink you guys could help if I uploaded some pictures of mine? And I realized I have made a mistake in thinking I need a 120mm cpu fan. My case fans are 120mm and I held one up to my heatsink and it's too big. I'm most likely looking for a 92mm one.
It's possible. We're kinda in the dark here now.
Here is a list of the 92mm coolers over at NewEgg. You might be able to match what you have with one there.

It almost looks as if the rubber mounting plugs are used in screw holes on a standard case fan. There is also a 4pin case header to 4pin molex power adapter so you'd have to match the case fan power lead with what ever CPU FAN header is on the Asus P5B MB.

a c 203 à CPUs
July 17, 2010 4:40:09 AM

Asus P5B uses a 4pin CPU_FAN header.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 3:47:30 PM

Ok, I have FINALLY found mine. I will upload pics anyways, but I'm positive that it's this one(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).
Here are a few pics -

So, it appears it does use a 120mm fan like I originally thought. And it looks like the fan should be on the bottom of it(when case is standing up) and blow air through the heatsink to the top exhaust fan on my case. Now, in this picture(http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/cooler/images/cctf/...) at the companies website, it shows it with the fan attached. Now I just need 2 120mm fans and 2 of those mounting things. I shouldn't have a problem finding the fans, but finding the things to mount it will be the problem. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it a lot.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 8:30:14 PM

Best answer selected by trogdor796.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 9:13:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!