Should i bother?

Deegs7777

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello,

So i currently have 4g of dual channel(2x2g). I was thinking of adding the same brand same spec but 2x1g for a total of 6g because its ddr2 and will eventually be building a new rig with newer tech at that time. Should i bother, leave it alone or go for 8g total? What are the differences between all four slots exactly the same or a 2g-1g-2g-1g setup. Will it help or actually hurt my system? Thanks guys!

Solution

Well, it depends on the OS and programs your running. If you have a 64-bit OS, and some fairly hefty programs (photoshop, etc) then the move to 6 or 8 gigs COULD help, but that's not the whole story. Filling all of the slots on your board will be slower than the same capacity with only two sticks of ram. For 90% of the...

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Well, it depends on the OS and programs your running. If you have a 64-bit OS, and some fairly hefty programs (photoshop, etc) then the move to 6 or 8 gigs COULD help, but that's not the whole story. Filling all of the slots on your board will be slower than the same capacity with only two sticks of ram. For 90% of the software out there, 4 gigs is about where performance plateaus with increasing memory. 2 gig to 4 gig, huge improvement, 4gig to 6 gig, typically very little boost in performance.

Solution