My new Cyberpower - What is Going Wrong with my Core i7 930

mrm1

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Just built and received a nice little Cyberpower Core i7 930 PC.

Set up:
Core i7 930
Asus P6T SE Mobo
6g AData DDR3 Triple Channel 1600 x3 Gaming Series
EVGA 9500 GT 1g DDR2
Xigmatek Dark Knight-CPU fan
Xtremegear 700 watt PSU
Had Cyberpower do a 10% over clock
Win 7 64 bit

First time I powered it up, it said cmos failure, hit F1 to reset defaults / F2 to enter bois. I hit F1 not thinking and lost the overclocking. (no big deal). Later learned this was do to a memory mismatch ... see below.

So I get into win 7 and check with CPUID ... All is there CPU/GPU/6g/ etc just as ordered.

But I go to Win Task manager and windows is only seeing 4g. Reboot. It sees 6g

Kinda flaky. Has locked up a few times. No over clocking just stock. System runs VERY cool at 38c all cores (+/- a degree per core). 20% overclock and stress testing and it runs at 62*c. Still Quite cool.

Called Cyberpower .... VERY Helpful. Spent a good amount of time on the phone. Tried re-seating the CPU in the socket, Switching memory around, Running each Mem modual by it self at 2 gig in channel 1, Ran Prime95 and Intel Burn Test on Each for a few hours ... all with no problem.

But put the 6 back in ... and it only sees 4. Power off and it sees 6 again. Leave it running, testing, reboot, overclock, etc ... no problem. Cut the power, pull the plug, come back tomorrow ... only sees 4 of the 6 gig until restart. If I use 4 gig it only sees 2g after being off over night.

Only test it will not run very well is Intel Burn Test Extreme Mode. It hangs, but then in 30 secs or so it recovers and starts test #2, repeat, etc.

After much discussion with Cyberpower tech suppoer, they sent me a new Mobo and video Card. Replaced both reallly hoping this was it .... Nothing. Same problem. Now they are sending out new memory. A full replacement set of AData 1600 triple channel Gaming Series 6g x3. But both they and I are very doubtful memory is the problem. Hopeful ... but doubtful. They give it a 50/50 chance of solving the problem.

So what else could it be??? My next thought is the CPU. My understanding is that on the Core i7 930s the CPU controls the memory Directly.

Or could it be as simple as the Mobo battery. Funny if it is that because it has had the same problem on 2 different Mobos ... and the clock holds time and it keeps the overclock settings when I use them. And the memory problem has been an issue overclocked or not.

Next step if the new memory that is in transit does not work is to send the whole pc back to Cypberpower ... a prospect I am not looking forward to.

Any suggestions?

Could it be a relationship between the 1 g of DDR2 on the GPU card and the 6g of DDR3 on the Mobo?

Other than that, another issue I am wondering about is the 1600 memory. I noted in the manual of the Mobo that with 1600 you can only use 1 slot per the 3 channels. ie. there are 3 memory channels each with 2 slots. So with 1600 mem half the memory expansion capacity is useless. Asus manual says it is an Intel limitation when using 1600 memory. What is up with that??? Could this possibly be the source of the problem. Should I switch to 1333s or 1800s??

thanks for the help. This has really got me stumped.
Mike

I doubt graphic card memory would have any conflicts. As for the RAM, people are running 2200MHz and over on Core i7s, normally it only officially states that memory will work at 1333MHz, but can be pushed further. Don't bother buying 1866MHz RAM, the difference between 1866 and 1066 is not noticeable.

Make sure all the RAM is seated in fully, and nothing is loose.

Also, try running msconfig, go to the Boot tab, then Advanced options, check the maximum memory box and select type in 6144.

Pre-built OEM computers tend to have a completely out of whack CPU:GPU ratio. Seriously, my friend's HP has a Phenom II X4 945, 8GB of RAM which is kinda let down by the HD 5450. I think I've actually seen a Core i7 920 or something with a GT 220, but I really cannot remember.

mrm1

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I just did not need all that GPU power for what I am doing .... Live stream Broadcasting and Encoding. The specs for Wirecast by Telestream dont even call for that my GPU. I know it is a weak card, but tried to save a few pennies. Just wondering if there is a relationship with the boot up memory mismatch. Would this issue be being caused by the video card?

It seems to only happen once power is cut and killed for about 12 hrs or more. Seems very odd. Will try the boot tab thing. All mem is seated properly.

Thanks.

jthrall

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
i had a similar problem with the asus P6t- it turns out to be a problem with mem compatiblility I went to the dominator series of memory and the system now runs fine.

mrm1

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Cyberpower is saying the ADATA 1600 sticks are a good choice and fine for this mobo, but I did look at the suggested list from the MOBO manual .... and this ADATA Model is not listed. Cyberpower says no worry and they would not exchange for a recommended memory stick just because the Adata 1600 is not listed in the mobo suggested list. But said they would give me credit if I wanted to replace them with other memory myself. But I would guess what they would give in credit would not even be close to the replacement cost.

But it would be nice it their web site did not even list these since they are NOT on the recommmended list from the MOBO manufacture.

Good news here. They did REPLACE the 3 sticks with the same ADATA 1600 sticks and so far the system is stable running the past 10 days. Have burned it with several of the popular burn-in programs for 12 hrs plus ... and no problmes. Powers up every time seeing 6g. So perhaps it was just a flaky set of memory.

mrm1

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
One quick question. When DRAM Timing page in bios is set to Auto for everything. CPUID says the sticks are:
DRAM CAS# Latency: 6
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 6
DRAM RAS# pre Time: 6
DRAM RAS Act time: 24

BUT the sticks say 9 / 9 / 9 / 24

So I reset to what the sticks say and CPUID now reports 9 / 9 / 9 / 24. This would be the right thing to do for the best stability correct?

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

Yes. Be sure to check DRAM voltage as well. Make sure it's not above 1.65.