Sign in with
Your question

Limited or no connectivity

Last response: in Networking
February 24, 2010 12:59:43 AM

I have 2 connections on my computer, my wireless usb modem and my local area connection, my wireless usb modem supplies my computer with internet connection, which is then shared with my local area connection which then supplies my xbox with internet connection, enabling me to play xbox live, enabling me to kick ass on mw2, at least thats how it was a few days ago. One day i boot up my computer and turn on my xbox to find that i cant connect to xbox live and my local area connection has limited or no connectivity. I went into the TCP/IP settings of my local area connection and specified the IP, DNS servers etc. which restores full connectivity, but still xbox live cant connect and gives me the error message:
"Your DNS server cant resolve the names of the xbox live server or xbox.com" and then when I turn it back to auto it acquires network address for awhile then gets "limited or no connectivity" status again
My xbox reports that the network is fine, so its nothing to do with turning routers on and off or a loose cable.
Also when I turn my local area connection onto shared it messes up my computers internet access.

Thanks.

Network info:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COMP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Sierra Wireless HSPA Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D5-FF-FF-A9
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.123.107.253
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.123.107.253
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.123.107.252
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 82.132.136.102
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 24 February 2010 01:35:30
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 27 February 2010 01:35:30

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-74-F9-EB-42
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.6.119
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Refreshed tha ipconfig info.

More about : limited connectivity

February 24, 2010 1:16:16 AM

Something's not clear. I’ve never heard of a wireless usb modem. I've seen wireless routers connected to a modem (it may be usb capable, but it's usually connected to a router). You need to be very precise here because I'm trying to determine where the DHCP server is in this configuration, if at all (usually it's the router, but you don't specifically mention one). Usually ppl have something like this:

[modem](lan)<-- ethernet wire-->(wan)[wireless router](lan)<--ethernet wire-->(lan)[pc]

Is this what you have? If not, plz clarify.

Or just give me the make/model # of your equipment (modem, router, etc.)
February 24, 2010 1:20:47 AM

P.S. You don't need to hide/obscure your local IP addresses (10.123.*.* or 169.x.x.x), these are used by everyone, and are untraceable back to any particular network. The only thing you need to hide is your public IP, which isn't even listed in the ipconfig unless you're directly connected to the modem. Hiding those local IPs may actually make it harder to solve the problem.
Related resources
February 24, 2010 1:22:33 AM

I have a usb modem plugged into my computer, an ethernet cable connecting my computer and router and then another ethernet cable connecting my router to my xbox.
hope you can understand that, thanks.
February 24, 2010 1:27:31 AM

Jordk said:
I have a usb modem plugged into my computer, an ethernet cable connecting my computer and router and then another ethernet cable connecting my router to my xbox.
hope you can understand that, thanks.

So something like this:

[modem](usb)<-- usb cable-->(usb)[pc](lan)<--ethernet wire-->(wan)[router](lan)<--ethernet wire-->(lan)[xbox]
February 24, 2010 1:29:23 AM

Yes but my usb modem plugs directly into a usb port, theres no cable involved.
February 24, 2010 1:34:02 AM

Jordk said:
Yes but my usb modem plugs directly into a usb port, theres no cable involved.

Does the usb modem have ethernet as an option? IOW, could you connect it to the PC w/ a network cable instead of USB?
February 24, 2010 1:35:25 AM

No, but this setup was working fine just a few days ago and ive not changed any settings what so ever.
February 24, 2010 1:37:32 AM

I will try and connect it with a usb cable and get back to you.
February 24, 2010 1:37:41 AM

Jordk said:
No, but this setup was working fine just a few days ago and ive not changed any settings what so ever.

I understand. But you have to be careful w/ how you hook these things up. Just because it worked initially doesn't mean it's necessarily right. You can create situations were it actually will sometimes and not others. Aftera all, that's where we are NOW! Just stay with me.
February 24, 2010 1:38:41 AM

Jordk said:
I will try and connect it with a usb cable and get back to you.

Cable doesn't matter. If it's connected directly or w/ cable, it's all the same.
February 24, 2010 1:39:48 AM

So should I assume you bridged the two network connections on the PC (usb + ethernet)?
February 24, 2010 1:41:05 AM

will try and bridge now and get back to you.
February 24, 2010 1:41:41 AM

No, wait, I just want to know!
February 24, 2010 1:48:02 AM

Lol, anyway when i bridge them i get an error message sayin theres an ip conflict on tha system.
February 24, 2010 1:49:17 AM

I know, don't jump the gun, I'm headed to the solution, just stick w/ me and don't take actions yet.

February 24, 2010 1:49:34 AM

So let's be clear, this is your configuration:

[modem](usb)<-- usb cable-->(usb)[pc](lan)<--ethernet wire-->(wan)[router](lan)<--ethernet wire-->(lan)[xbox]

USB cable or direct, it's the same.

I noticed on your IPCONFIG dump a wireless adapter (Sierra Wireless HSPA Network Adapter), where does that come into the picture, so far it's unaccounted for.
February 24, 2010 1:51:50 AM

Quote:
I noticed on your IPCONFIG dump a wireless adapter (Sierra Wireless HSPA Network Adapter), where does that come into the picture, so far it's unaccounted for.

That is tha usb modem itself.
February 24, 2010 2:02:53 AM

Jordk said:
Quote:

That is tha usb modem itself.

So what's the wireless connected to? I assume this modem is connected by hardwire to cable or dsl. Is it not? Or is it perhaps using wireless to some wifi service you're using for Internet access. Just trying to get the picture right because you have a rather, shall we say, interesting configuration there. LOL

February 24, 2010 2:10:15 AM

eibgrad said:
So what's the wireless connected to? I assume this modem is connected by hardwire to cable or dsl. Is it not? Or is it perhaps using wireless to some wifi service you're using for Internet access. Just trying to get the picture right because you have a rather, shall we say, interesting configuration there. LOL

Lol, its a temporary fix until i get my isp back, but anyway tha modem connects directly to my computer via a usb port, just like a flash drive would for instance, as simple as that.
February 24, 2010 2:15:19 AM

Sorry for hitting you with all these questions, but they matter, a lot.

Here's what I see.

You're using your PC as a bridge between the network connections, which is fine. However, you have a problem. The public IP from your ISP is being assigned to the network connection on the usb side of your PC. But it’s not clear where the other network connection is getting its IP assignment because there’s no DHCP server available there. If that network connection is using DHCP, then it will fail to initialize its IP assignment (and all other TCP/IP parameters), give itself an IP in the 169.x.x.x range, and be useless. And even if manually assigned an IP it would be useless unless those two network connections are at least bridged. And even being bridged would be insufficient since you need a gateway between the two networks to NAT the public IP on the usb connection over to the other network!

In short, it’s a bit of a mess.
February 24, 2010 2:20:27 AM

Could you at least gimme a reason how all this could have happened cos one minute it was working fine, then tha next minute it wasnt, with no evident reason why ?!?!
February 24, 2010 2:26:01 AM

Jordk said:
Could you at least gimme a reason how all this could have happened cos one minute it was working fine, then tha next minute it wasnt, with no evident reason why ?!?!

I can't. Based on what you've described (at my prompting), I don't see how the USB connection to the PC and the PC connection to the router could have ever communicated unless you specifically bridged those connections, OR, used ICS to configure a gateway (which would bridge as part of its own configuration). That’s the only path the xbox has to the ISP, it must jump from one connection to the other, somehow. You can’t just have two separate network connections and have them magically communicate! You have to bridge them, and the default is to NOT bridge them. Since I don't know the full history here, and I'm just relying on your descriptions, I remain stumped as to how this could have ever worked, at least as described.

February 24, 2010 2:32:47 AM

Consider the network connection from the PC to the router (LAN to WAN). I fully understand why that connection is getting an IP address of 169.254.6.119 and no gateway IP.

Anytime you get a 169.x.x.x IP, it means the computer tried to issue a DHCP request to initialize the IP settings. But it couldn’t, so it assigned itself an arbitrary number in the 169.x.x.x range AND no gateway IP. It makes perfect sense. Because it’s not bridged to the usb connection, it can’t possibly make that request to the ISP. And since it’s connected to the router over the WAN port (where DHCP requests can not travel past, even though that router has a DHCP server), it ends up failing to contact any DHCP server and configures itself as I described; 169.254.6.119 and no gateway IP.

IOW, I can’t tell you how it worked before, but I can definitely tell you why it’s not working NOW.
February 24, 2010 2:33:20 AM

hahaha thats weird.
But this is tha setup i would normally have even with a dsl modem, but instead of a dsl modem i have a usb modem.
Forget that cos the modem would be connected to tha router not directly to that pc.
February 24, 2010 2:37:40 AM

Jordk said:
hahaha thats weird.
But this is tha setup i would normally have even with a dsl modem, but instead of a dsl modem i have a usb modem.

I want to get this straight. Cable and dsl are internet providers. USB is just a connection type (as in serial, parallel, sata, ethernet, etc.). Telling me you have a usb modem is like telling me you have an ethernet modem. It tells me nothing about your ISP! It has to be a usb connection to SOMETHING! Cable, DSL, dial-up, something! You still haven't told me.
February 24, 2010 2:39:30 AM

Jordk said:
hahaha thats weird.
Forget that cos the modem would be connected to tha router not directly to that pc.

:o  Ah, so you did change something! You had the modem connected to the router when this was last working?!
February 24, 2010 2:39:32 AM

eibgrad said:
Consider the network connection from the PC to the router (LAN to WAN). I fully understand why that connection is getting an IP address of 169.254.6.119 and no gateway IP.

Anytime you get a 169.x.x.x IP, it means the computer tried to issue a DHCP request to initialize the IP settings. But it couldn’t, so it assigned itself an arbitrary number in the 169.x.x.x range AND no gateway IP. It makes perfect sense. Because it’s not bridged to the usb connection, it can’t possibly make that request to the ISP. And since it’s connected to the router over the WAN port (where DHCP requests can not travel past, even though that router has a DHCP server), it ends up failing to contact any DHCP server and configures itself as I described; 169.254.6.119 and no gateway IP.

IOW, I can’t tell you how it worked before, but I can definitely tell you why it’s not working NOW.

Can you tell me how to make it work again lol ??
February 24, 2010 2:40:35 AM

Jordk said:
Can you tell me how to make it work again lol ??

I want to know the answer to my previous two posts first.
February 24, 2010 2:45:58 AM

If your confused about my usb modem search google for "Sierra Wireless HSPA Network Adapter".
February 24, 2010 2:48:51 AM

Jordk said:
If your confused about my usb modem search google for "Sierra Wireless HSPA Network Adapter".

Oh, is this connected to a cellular network, iow, verizon or at&t or similar providers? That's all I was trying to determine. It's not cable, not dsl, but cellular.
February 24, 2010 2:53:18 AM

You need to enable ICS on the usb network connection of the PC. Almost every ISP is going to limit you to one public IP. If this isn’t the case, I need to know. In that case you could just bridge the connections. But in most cases ICS will be required (and will always work anyway).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Next, I want you to connect the xbox directly to the other network connection of the PC. NO ROUTER!

So it should look like this:

[modem](usb)<-- usb cable-->(usb)[pc w/ ics enabled on usb connection](lan)<--ethernet wire-->(lan)[xbox]

Again, usb cable or not, doesn't matter.
February 24, 2010 3:06:56 AM

theres nothing in tha usb modem settings about enabling ics
February 24, 2010 3:12:23 AM

Jordk said:
theres nothing in tha usb modem settings about enabling ics

So you found the adapter in Network Connections, right click to Properties, Advanced tab, and didn't see anything about ICS?
February 24, 2010 3:17:03 AM

Yes sorry internet connection sharing is there, i didnt understand what you meant by ICS but i get ya now.
February 24, 2010 3:22:44 AM

Yes i enabled ics on my wireless connection which ive never been able to do before, and it works, your a sick guy and i love you.
March 3, 2010 12:13:37 AM

eibgrad said:
So you found the adapter in Network Connections, right click to Properties, Advanced tab, and didn't see anything about ICS?

Hi there.

I to have the same set up and problems as Jordk. I new about - Network Connections, right click to Properties, Advanced tab. I was getting ICS options before, however now they have disappeared, and only Microsoft firewall settings are shown. I don't understand how one day I could share to my xbox 360 and the next the options to share have gone. :fou: 
You sound like you know what your talking about, please help. I love my xbox live and are suffering with out it.
March 3, 2010 12:27:27 AM

Sid99 said:
Hi there.

I to have the same set up and problems as Jordk. I new about - Network Connections, right click to Properties, Advanced tab. I was getting ICS options before, however now they have disappeared, and only Microsoft firewall settings are shown. I don't understand how one day I could share to my xbox 360 and the next the options to share have gone. :fou: 
You sound like you know what your talking about, please help. I love my xbox live and are suffering with out it.

Did you make any changes? You can only have ICS enabled on one network adapter. Is it possible you're now trying to enabled ICS on another network adapter and failed to disable it on the other?

Something has to have changed here if it was working before.
March 6, 2012 4:54:19 AM

Jordk said:
I have 2 connections on my computer, my wireless usb modem and my local area connection, my wireless usb modem supplies my computer with internet connection, which is then shared with my local area connection which then supplies my xbox with internet connection, enabling me to play xbox live, enabling me to kick ass on mw2, at least thats how it was a few days ago. One day i boot up my computer and turn on my xbox to find that i cant connect to xbox live and my local area connection has limited or no connectivity. I went into the TCP/IP settings of my local area connection and specified the IP, DNS servers etc. which restores full connectivity, but still xbox live cant connect and gives me the error message:
"Your DNS server cant resolve the names of the xbox live server or xbox.com" and then when I turn it back to auto it acquires network address for awhile then gets "limited or no connectivity" status again
My xbox reports that the network is fine, so its nothing to do with turning routers on and off or a loose cable.
Also when I turn my local area connection onto shared it messes up my computers internet access.

Thanks.

Network info:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COMP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5: