double-clicking folder opens search asst.

When I double click a folder from Win. Explorer to open it, the search asst.
opens instead. If I right-click the folder, the options menu lists
"Search..." as the first option in the list (it is also highlighted in bold
type). "Open..", which is normally the default option is listed in the 4th
postion and if I click it, I will be moved to the next level in the file
tree. Only folders are affected this way, disks and files DO open with a
double-click and "Open" is the default in the right-click menu.
This problem did not originate with the original (factory) Win XP install,
or with the SP2 update, it started happening one day about 3 months ago and I
have not been able to tie it to any particular event. I can't completely rule
out a virus, but I run McAfee VirusScan and McAfee Security Center which is
alway "on" on my cable modem.
I have tried everything I can think of to fix this and also used paid
support services from MS with no result, so you folks are my last hope!

Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:AE3AE572-0E56-4FC6-9ACB-AC7557B81B15@microsoft.com,
adambead <adambead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When I double click a folder from Win. Explorer to open it, the
> search asst. opens instead. If I right-click the folder, the options
> menu lists "Search..." as the first option in the list (it is also
> highlighted in bold type). "Open..", which is normally the default
> option is listed in the 4th postion and if I click it, I will be
> moved to the next level in the file tree. Only folders are affected
> this way, disks and files DO open with a double-click and "Open" is
> the default in the right-click menu.
> This problem did not originate with the original (factory) Win XP
> install, or with the SP2 update, it started happening one day about 3
> months ago and I have not been able to tie it to any particular
> event. I can't completely rule out a virus, but I run McAfee
> VirusScan and McAfee Security Center which is alway "on" on my cable
> modem. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this and also
> used paid support services from MS with no result, so you folks are
> my last hope!

Additional Info:

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

(Courtesy of David Candy)

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for Drives: