jimmyc93

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello, today I opened my casing and pulled everything out. after cleaning the dust off them i placed them again in the pc and connected all the cables. but later when i started the computer the power LED lit for half a second then switched off and with it the pc. i removed the casing cover and saw that when i start the pc the cpu fan starts for half a second and then it stops. where is the problem? solution please.

ericag_ph

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
If it was working before you cleaned it, I would start by re-doing everything. Re-seat all the components, check all the cables if they are connected properly. If you have multiple drives or cards, I would try adding back into the system only the graphics card (unless your MB has a built-in video card) and the boot drive first to lessen the search for the problem component.

Welcome, Newcomer. There could be several things wrong. First thing to try is to remove the heatsink fan completely. Now install a different fan, but make sure it's the same size. After installing a different fan on to the heatsink, fire up that bad boy and see if the problem still exists. If it does, continue...

The next thing you might want to try is breadboarding. Breadboarding is when you build the system outside of the case. You do this to rule out any case shorts.

1. Disconnect all wires/cables except for the heatsink fan.
2. Remove all connected hardware, except for the heatsink/cpu.
3. Remove mobo.
4. Put mobo on a non-conductive surface (phonebook, wood, etc)
5. Install ONE stick of RAM.
6. Connect the PSU to the mobo (both the P1 and CPU connectors).
7. Jump the PWR_SW pins on the mobo with a flathead screwdriver.

Now power on the system again. Does the heatsink fan spin properly?

jimmyc93

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Hey, man thnx for the advice i did breadboard as u said and the pc starts fine and the cpu heatsink fan is fine too. then where's the problem? is it in casing or somehing?

If the system powers up properly, you'll get a display on your monitor. If you do see a display on your monitor, then yes, you've got a short somewhere in the case. Double check that your standoffs aren't loose. Make sure that there aren't any extra screws in the mounting holes of the mobo. Similarly, ensure that there aren't any extra standoffs. Also be on the lookout for any frayed/open wires that touch the bare metal of the case.

jimmyc93

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I found the problem when I power the hdd then the pc does not start. my psu is 350w. so i thought that was the problem. so then disconnected the psu from the DVD-RW drive and powered the hdd. the computer started but after 2-3 seconds smoke started to come out from hdd. i swithced the pc off immediately. Now I have a new problem.