Computer rebooting/flickering - PLEASE help

hamiac

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Ok, I am writing this in safe mode.
I turned on the computer today and it goes to a 'repair windows startup' screen i think, but anyway, that was unable to fix itself.
So I restared and ran windows normally. However once the loading windows had just gone, i noticed a quick section of the screen go a bit green then it carried on normally. Once the desktop had loaded the screen flickered a kinda white and then went black - still on, with the backlight, but black. Then it resarted and asked me if I wanted to start in safemode.

The first time I started it in safemode it did the same flickering but didnt resart itself. After rebooting and entering safemode with networking, it may have flickered once and now it is completly fine.

What is wrong?!?!?!?!

I wondered if it was my GFX card but am unsure what to do about it. I havnt made any major changes to the system scince it was running fine yesterday.

PLEASE HELP - I hope all thw riting does put you off because I need everything you got. Will email XFX the same thing too, see what they have to say.

Thanks heaps

hamiac

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Yes this is the first time anything like this has happened. It did have a couple of blue screens earlier but I believe that to have been a memory timing issue I fxed.

My specs are -

Phenom II X3
Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Corsair Dominator DDR3 2x2gb
Corsair HX650W
WD caviar black 1tb

Thanks for the reply

Oh, forgot the GFX card: XFX HD 5770

lavell

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Is there anything in the system that's overclocked? If so, set it back to default clocks and see what happens. If not, then my next question would be was there a recent change in the system? In other words, did you add a new component to the system? If so, was the system working fine before you added this new component?

hamiac

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for your replies.

No nothing is overclocked
And nothing new has been added in terms of hardware and software since it was last working fine.

I contacted XFX and the said it must be faulty so I am returning it. Looking around on the net I have found one or two others who have the same mobo and GFX card with similar issues, usually just crashes during games but still... kinda putting me off XFX and Asus sadly.

If its not the GFX card then I will try the mobo and then the PSU as I doubt it to be a faulty corsair PSU

Thanks again for your replies. Any additional information wouldbe appreciated.

using my old computer now.