ouch

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Towards the end of last year I asked about upgrading the gfx card on my aging Opteron box, thread here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=15&post=274336&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Anyhow, santa didn't deliver :( but I did get a modest bonus at the end of last month. :D

poking around various UK websites I spot a 1G Sapphire HD4870 for a touch over 100GBP- that's about 30GBP less than everyone else. And just within my price margin.

Before that I was looking at either a GTS 250 or a HD5750 (Both also in 1Gb incarnations), as they're about the same price point. However, the 4870, despite being older, seems to have better benchmark results.

Given the box itself is getting on some, and it'll probably not see an OS upgprade for a while, is it worth jumping at this potential bargain, or am I better off going with something a bit younger and taking a hit on the performance?

cheers

G

Fixed.

ouch

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
The lower power usage sounds attractive. Though I'm not sure DX11 support will ever be an issue, depends if I try win7 on this box, but that'll be another thread.

Same supplier does a 1G 5770 for 109GBP, a bit more for a bit less. hmm.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Either would be an excellent choice for the price bracket. 4870's are all but dried up here in the States, and the few I've found can actually cost a little more than the 5770's.

5770 would get my vote.

(And poor builderbob... If only he'd use his browser's built-in spellchecker, his editing would have been great.)

Yeh....

But IE8 doesn't have built in spell check, I need Chrome on my desktop.

ouch

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Went for the 5770 in the end. Figured I'd have less grief installing it as it only needs the single 6pin molex, and the lower power consumption would also be good. The eyefinity feature looks useful as well, though I'm not sure if my processor/mobo will cope with it.

Good Idea, at the same price.

How much more was it?

(And the Eyefinty function si sort of a fail on midrange cards, cuase they can't power the insqane resoultion Eyefinity needs to look nice)

ouch

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
109GBP plus delivery, which took it to 117 all in. The 4870 would have been 101GPB plus delivery (the same, I'd assume). So the difference is less a tenner, or a round of drinks if you don't have many friends. :)

I love your way of comparing money.

Round of drinks...heheheh.

ouch

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Arrived today (found it behind the bin!).. Installed and working inside an hour (included eating dinner). Then I managed to shoehorn the ageing 6800GT (and it's improbably cooler) in the wifes dell, she's now shooting zombies :)

Cheers again..

G (off to shoot some of my own zombies)

ouch

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Bob - not got crysis, so no benches, could prolly post some benches from Fallout3 or GTA4 when I'm next home.
47 - yes she has a sister, though I feel it would be inappropriate for her bro-in-law to comment on hotness ;)

Said wife has also just completed a memory upgrade on the dell box, so she's now shooting more zombies, or playing sims 3 :)