Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 830 D/AM vs. B/WW

Last response: in Storage
June 23, 2012 10:31:05 PM

What is the difference between these two Samsung 830 128GB SSDs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-147-...

Obviously there is a significant price difference, but I can't figure out why. The only difference I see is in the model designation: one says D/AM and another says B/WW. Any ideas?

More about : samsung 830

a b Ô Samsung
a c 283 G Storage
June 23, 2012 11:05:42 PM

It gets confusing with the different models but basically there are two versions of the full retail upgrade kit - one for desktop pc's and one for laptops. They typically come with some nice to have items. They might come with Norton Ghost or a free game. There are also two OEM/generic versions - one for desktop pc's and one for laptops. The OEM/generic versions only come with the ssd and a cd-rom disc. That's all.

The ones that end with D/AM are full retail versions for desktop pc's

The ones that end with N/AM are full retail versions for notebooks and laptops.

The ones that end with D/WW are OEM/generic versions for desktop pc's

The ones that end with N/WW are OEM/generic versions for notebooks and laptops.

The ones that end with B/WW are usually a bundle that might include the ssd, bracket, SATA cable, power cable, Norton Ghost, SSD Magician, and manual. All of this is subject to change at any time.

There are more model numbers. Samsung supplies OEM versions to Dell, Sony, Lenovo, and other "off the shelf" companies. There are different model numbers for each company that Samsung supplies.

I have a Samsung 830 256GB ssd and a Samsung 470 256GB ssd installed in pc's at home. I purchased the OEM/generic versions because I did not need or want any of the extra goodies. Saved a few dollars.

Nota Bene - Disclaimer: I am a senior citizen who is growing old disgracefully. Sometimes I get things mixed up.

m
l
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
July 11, 2012 12:41:49 PM

I think you are mixing 2 things while trying to decode the model number

D/xx - desktop upgrade kit = full retail version for desktop computers
N/xx - notebook upgrade kit = full rerail version for notebooks
B/xx - basic kit (aka OEM)= just SSD drive and drivers/documentation without the extra software (for example to migrate your OS to new drive) or accessories (like cables, 2.5" to 3.5" bracket and screws for installing the drive in your computer)

the letters after '/' is just to distinguish the different distribution areas of the drive
for example AM means the drives meant to be sold in Americas (North & South), EU for Europe, WW for Worldwide

These distributions might vary with the additional/bundled software that comes free with the drive (or trial versions)
For example different games that can be downloaded for free etc.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 2:09:49 PM

Is there any reason why you couldn't put a laptop version in a desktop? I wouldn't imagine that it would make a difference.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 184 G Storage
July 11, 2012 2:22:56 PM

You'll just need the adapter,like the one that comes in the upgrade kit.
m
l
July 12, 2012 2:24:37 AM

eXistenZ said:
Is there any reason why you couldn't put a laptop version in a desktop? I wouldn't imagine that it would make a difference.

They just mean the mounting brackets change per kit. I got the B/ww in the mail today and it was just the drive, no wires at all, manual, and Samsung Magician disc.
m
l
!