$1,000 computer

luciped

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
This will be my first attempt at building a pc and i want it to be around $1,000 and i just wanted to know if what i have so far is good for the price and if you guys could give me some suggestions on what i should change i would be very grateful. I am not going to overclock it yet but don't want to rule it out nor am i going to crossfire yet. I would also like to allow room to add on more without having to completely replace something. If you see something that is bad in my build please suggest a replacement. thanks. The parts so far are:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory

XFX Radeon HD 4850 HD-485X-ZNFC Video Card

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula ATX AMD Motherboard

NeoPower 650 Blue 650W Power Supply

Antec Nine Hundred Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

thank you

Solution

Yes. Today's 5750 performs the same as the 4850 and costs somewhere around $130 normally.

if i were to go with nVidia
Don't. And you will find that SLI/crossfire info on either the site you are getting the motherboard from, on the manufacturer's website, or in the motherboard manual.

And if I need another one which do you recommend?
For going crossfire/SLI? Both should be the same model, or it could be detrimental to performance.

Nothing in particular, i just want a solid computer that will be easy to adapt in the future.
Then wait for bulldozer next year, or get the 1055t right now.

frayedknot2

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I was always an AMD guy until my first build of a gaming pc and was talked into going with Intel, you may want to research this. I wound up with a q6600 quad core intel processor with a stock speed of 2.4GHz and is now OC'ec to 3.50 GHz on an XFX 780i mobo(if I was to do it again I would use an Asus mobo). This is on air cooling with a TRUE 120.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

4850 my bad, I would definetly upgrade graphics downgrade the cpu to the Phenom II x4 3.4Ghz, to compensate for cost. Besides there are no practical gains with a six core in most programs at this time.

luciped

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Does the motherboard i have support SLI as well as Crossfire or would I need to get a different one if i were to go with nVidia? And if I need another one which do you recommend? And about what I will use it for it's really quite broad. Nothing in particular, i just want a solid computer that will be easy to adapt in the future. Either way is the gpu that I have at the moment the best for around $100?

Yes. Today's 5750 performs the same as the 4850 and costs somewhere around $130 normally.

if i were to go with nVidia
Don't. And you will find that SLI/crossfire info on either the site you are getting the motherboard from, on the manufacturer's website, or in the motherboard manual.

And if I need another one which do you recommend?
For going crossfire/SLI? Both should be the same model, or it could be detrimental to performance.

Nothing in particular, i just want a solid computer that will be easy to adapt in the future.
Then wait for bulldozer next year, or get the 1055t right now.

Solution