Here are my system specs:

ASUS M4A78-EM (Bios 2102)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6 Mhz
GSkill Ripjaw DDR2 (PC2-9600) 2x1024 MB @ 1200 Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
2x 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor - RAID 1
3x 1TB Seagate Constellation
2x Pioneer DVR-116D
Windows 7 Ultimate x86 32 bit (Version 6.1, build 7600 SP1)

I recently got the "Critical Warning" for my RAID during post. I id'd the failing drive as the mirror (#2), put a new (identical) drive in and rebooted. I again got the "Critical Warning" and allowed the system to boot into Windows. After a couple of hours, I presummed that the RAID had recovered and rebooted. Same "Critical Warning" on boot. Formatted the drive and tried again - no change. Bios settings have not changed. Going into the RAID array, I could only see the one drive (primary). I finally gave up and reinstalled OS -WITH the same 2 drives. What did I do wrong, and what do I need to do the next time there is a problem? I REM'd the drive and have a fresh one standing by for the future.

More about : raid rebuild problem

a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 10:19:45 PM

Are you certain you identified the correct failing drive? Some motherboards despite saying they support RAID 1 cause data corruption with time. If you have 3 drives total, you may as well do RAID 5 instead of RAID 1--that will allow you to continue to use your OS if there is corruption.

Also, you are running a pretty old motherboard--RAID chipsets seem to be hit or miss. I've only had much success with the Intel ICH10R chipset. Since you did just reinstall your OS, it might be a good time to consider upgrading to an AM3 board with DDR3 support. That could fix your problems.
m
l
!