Sign in with
Your question

Where to go from here?

Last response: in Systems
May 10, 2010 3:03:35 PM

Hey all,

The last of my parts are out for delivery today (minus my hyper 212+ which is coming friday). I was planning on building it today using the stock cpu heatsink so I have some numbers to compare to the hyper 212+.

I have a few questions however:

Should I wait for the hyper 212+ to build my system?, I know I'll have to take my mobo back out but eh isn't that big of a deal for me, I've got the time.

Once I POST for the first time (assuming everything goes off without a hitch) and install win7, what tests should I run to test stability and whatever else? (3Dmark, memtest86+, prime95?)

I really want to overclock, but this being my first time I'm scared as it obviously voids the warranty so I'm out a lot of money if something goes wrong, is it worth it for the 200-400 Mhz difference? Will I even notice it? (system specs listed below). Also I wouldn't overclock it without the hyper212+ on it anyway.

System Specs:
Antec 300 Illusion
Corsair 750HX 750W
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 (rev. 1.0)
Phenom II X4 965 BE
Hyper 212+ (when its delivered)
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-24)
XFX Radeon HD5850
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
Lite-On optical drive

Thanks for any help!

More about : question

a b B Homebuilt system
May 10, 2010 4:01:41 PM

First... If you don't mind taking everything apart again to install the Hyper 212+, I see no issues installing everything today. The only concern is for some reason on the 2nd rebuild you don't put something back together right and it won't boot. You just have to go back through and troubleshoot. No big deal, just time consuming. :) 

Second... After the OS and all of the drivers are installed, I would run Prime95 (with HW Monitor running), 3DMark Vantage and PCMark Vantage. All three tools are good to stress & benchmark your system. You can run memtest86+ but my feeling is if you don't suspect a RAM issue, why run the test?

You will notice a difference but I can't give a % to go by. You might be looking at 5 to 6 FPS in some games or 15 to 20 in other games with the speed increase. Your system will be faster but depending on where you are coming from, it might not be noticeable outside of the major increase of speed with the new system.

Overall, a solid build :)  Post some pictures when you get the Hyper 212+ installed. It is always nice to see the completed build.
May 10, 2010 5:21:30 PM

tecmo34 said:
First... If you don't mind taking everything apart again to install the Hyper 212+, I see no issues installing everything today. The only concern is for some reason on the 2nd rebuild you don't put something back together right and it won't boot. You just have to go back through and troubleshoot. No big deal, just time consuming. :) 

Second... After the OS and all of the drivers are installed, I would run Prime95 (with HW Monitor running), 3DMark Vantage and PCMark Vantage. All three tools are good to stress & benchmark your system. You can run memtest86+ but my feeling is if you don't suspect a RAM issue, why run the test?

You will notice a difference but I can't give a % to go by. You might be looking at 5 to 6 FPS in some games or 15 to 20 in other games with the speed increase. Your system will be faster but depending on where you are coming from, it might not be noticeable outside of the major increase of speed with the new system.

Overall, a solid build :)  Post some pictures when you get the Hyper 212+ installed. It is always nice to see the completed build.

Thanks for the feedback, I got a doctor's appointment now but the last shipment just came in actually, I've got everything sitting and waiting for my eager paws when I get back. I'll def post pictures when I get it set up. Also, with regards to the position of the hyper212+, I was thinking vertical with a push/pull when I get a second fan, so the push fan blowing front to back, and the exhaust fan pulling from back to the 2nd exhaust fan on the back of the base to outside. I've seen people do both ways, and I guess it wouldn't matter for me because I've got top and back exhaust fans, but I feel the vertical position would complement the 2 fans in the front of the case.

In regards to the OC'ing I guess I won't mess around with anything immediately, but I feel like it'd be a good idea in case I would need to RMA something, even though it wouldn't be eligible since it voids warranty I'm assuming.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2010 2:22:52 PM

I really wouldn't bother with the OCing. Some like to OC for the love of OCing, some like to do it for the bigger numbers.

The reality is, do you need to? Looking at that system it will run games very well, you won't notice an overclock. A game running at 60fps will look the same as a game at 70, 80, 100 etc.

Save the OC for the future, the important thing is that you have a good CPU cooler which allows you to OC, which means when the time comes that you start to struggle on some games (probably not for a year or so) then you can start to play around for extra juice.

Personally I consider OCing as a way to extend the life of my computer to delay replacing it, if I am OCing from the beginning I should ahve bought better parts :D 
May 11, 2010 2:36:30 PM

Yes, a game at 60FPS would look like a game running at lets say - 140FPS unless you have a 120Hz monitor. Overclocking wouldn't be recommended if it'll void your warranty and if it's your first time.

Get used to your computer first, and once you feel that you're ready to OC then go for it!
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2010 4:11:14 PM

I'll have to disagree about the memtest part. Lots of people actually build and use systems with bad RAM for a while and don't even notice it until more and more bad sectors start popping up and really causing issues (often after the 30 day return period).

One of the first things I do is memtest for 8 passes before I even install the OS.

Those timings on the RAM are pretty bad. Since you're not OCing, I'd knock down the speed to ~1350 and tighten the timings to 7-8-7-24 and see if they'll work.

170mhz x 20 multiplier should do the trick.
May 12, 2010 1:57:20 AM

banthracis said:
I'll have to disagree about the memtest part. Lots of people actually build and use systems with bad RAM for a while and don't even notice it until more and more bad sectors start popping up and really causing issues (often after the 30 day return period).

One of the first things I do is memtest for 8 passes before I even install the OS.

Those timings on the RAM are pretty bad. Since you're not OCing, I'd knock down the speed to ~1350 and tighten the timings to 7-8-7-24 and see if they'll work.

170mhz x 20 multiplier should do the trick.

Well, I finally booted my computer up, installed Win7 (had to disable floppy drive to increase the install speed by at least 4-5x, such a random problem). Only thing I noticed was when I boot it says "DDR3 1333 unganged mode"..but more on that later. Didn't really do much since it was late so I went to bed; the next day I turn on my computer, and plug in my flash drive with the mobo and gpu drivers from their respective websites. My computer starts bugging out, win7 gives me a couple messages saying the explorer has crashed or failed or whatever, then I get a BSOD which says something about dumping memory, and then restarts before I can really read the whole thing. Does this like 3-4 times then finally quits going crazy.

I think its just coincidence that it did it when I put my flash drive in because I pretty much put in the flash drive as soon as windows booted up, but then it wouldn't recognize the same flash drive I had to transfer my files to a different one which it recognized. I'm not sure but does this have something to do with cold-boot issues? I've read about people having cold-boot issues with G.skill ram so I'm not sure what the problem here is.

As for the DDR3 1333 unganged mode, no clue what is going wrong there. CPU-Z reads as follows:
DRAM Frequency: 669.7 MHz
FSB:D RAM: 3:10
CL: 9
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 24
tRC: 33
CR: 1T

The memory is running as its supposed to with the 9-9-9-24 timings, so shouldn't I be at 1600 MHz? I've got the two sticks in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 slots on the mobo. Do I have them in the wrong places?

Also, I booted CPU-Z, and my CPU readings were strange. At first it read what it was supposed to with Core Speed: 3400 MHz and Multiplier: x16.0, but then I switched tabs to look at memory and I switched back to CPU and now it reads Core Speed: 803.6 MHz and Multiplier: x4.0. What the hell is going on!? I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but core voltage reads: 0.992V. If I'm not stupid, shouldn't this be closer to like 1.5 or so? I hope I don't have a faulty CPU/RAM.

Please help this is so frustrating, any help is GREATLY appreciated.
!