Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HAF 932 FULL TOWER TRI SLI - NOT ENOUGH SPACE?!?!

Last response: in Components
July 16, 2010 9:09:46 PM

OK I HAVE A HAF 932 FULL TOWER CASE WHICH HAS 7 EXPANSION SLOTS, I CURRENTLY OWN A MSI TRINERGY WITH AN i7-860 WITH 2 GTX-470s IN A PSU OCZ GOLD SERIES 1000W, I HAVE ANOTHER GTX 470 COMING ON THE WAY, BUT I REALIZED THAT I DONT HAVE ENOUGH EXPANSION SLOTS, IT FITS, BUT THE EXHAUST PART OF THE CARD IS ENTIRELY BLOCKED BY THE CASE, I WAS WONDERING IF ITS POSSIBLE TO DRILL A SER OF HOLES FOR THE EXHAUST TO BE ABLE TO GO THROUGH, AND PUT A 80MM ON THE BOTTOM OF IT TO HELP IT DRAW THE AIR OUTSIDE... I DONT KNOW IF YOU CAN PICTURE IT BUT ITS LIKE (IF YOU KNOW THE CASE) A SPACE OF 2-3 CM THATS BLOCKED WITH THE CASE, HERES A PIC FOR REFERENCE BUT I ALREADY CHANGED TO PSU TO THE TOP SO I HAVE MORE SPACE FOR THE 3RD CARD... WHAT DO YOU THINK? DRILLIN' ANY GOOD?
a b ) Power supply
July 16, 2010 9:11:29 PM

it could work, but 3 470s in SLI is kind of a waste. the third card will only be able to run in x4 instead of x8 like the other two
m
l
July 16, 2010 9:14:05 PM

jefe323 said:
it could work, but 3 470s in SLI is kind of a waste. the third card will only be able to run in x4 instead of x8 like the other two

WAY AHEAD OF YOU BOSS... I ACTUALLY INVESTED A LOT IN THAT MSI TRINERGY MOBO SO I COULD RUN 3 GRAPHIC CARDS IN 16X/8X/8X CONFIG :D  YOU THINK I SHOULD DO IT? IM JUST SCARED I MIGHT SCREW THE CASE ALL UP... :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 16, 2010 9:39:52 PM

i'd stick with just 2 470s, but thats just me.
m
l

Best solution

July 17, 2010 1:51:42 PM

I wouldn't do it, but if you insist in using all 3 cards you could give it a try.
Would suggest drilling several smaller holes rather than a few larger ones though.
And I would also suggest getting a fan to support the airflow out asap as it probably wont be as good as the original exchaust....
August 8, 2010 5:12:26 PM

Best answer selected by roroxiiroro.
m
l
!