Installing windows 7 on SSD?

I am currently in the middle of selecting products for my first build. I really do want a ssd, it would be a lot easier to get it after i order my entire build due to the amount of money i have to spend on my computer. Since i plan on getting it at a later time, i know that my windows will, for the time being, be installed on my hdd. When i get my ssd a ,few months from the time i build my pc, i was wondering if installing windows 7 (for a better boot time) would be as simple as just installing it onto the ssd? Another question i have is if i would have to completely remove windows 7 from my hdd to prevent bugs or interferences between the two drives?
6 answers Last reply
More about installing windows
  1. the best method is to completely disconnect the existing drive. install the new ssd into SATA0 and then install windows. after windows is installed, THEN connect the larger drive to SATA1.
  2. Yeah, thats what i planned on doing, but will i or should i completely remove windows from my hdd after it is installed onto my sdd?
  3. anyone?
  4. You do not have to remove your Windows installed on HDD. You can even boot in to that one whenever you'd like using the motherboard/bios boot menu. And once you are in your SSD windows, you can access any of your files/folders on your "old" Windows hdd installation. That can be useful. But if you need more space, you can easily delete that HDD partition (old Win installation).
  5. If you want to install Win7 on SSD, you make sure no other drives is plugged.

BIOS changes:
    You must also make sure before installation, in the BIOS you change your SATA controllers to AHCI.Then in your boot menu put it on CD-ROM to install Win 7. After installation is complete and you are able to go to the desktop.

Shutdown computer, plug in your HDD, go into BIOS again and change the Boot PRIORITY (not boot menu) to your SSD (usually a special name). Once you get into your desktop, Windows 7 should recognize your HDD. As davidjohnson has mentioned, you will be able to access all your files from your HDD. Some programs may not work due to registry keys not written into Windows 7 on the SSD.
  6. The process people have mentioned is definitely the best way to go about getting Windows 7 onto your solid state drive, to plug the SSD into SATA 0 and disconnect the hard drive, then install. Two additional points though:

One, you will have to reinstall most, if not all of your applications, unless they were engineered as portable applications, such as you would carry on a USB stick and use on more than one computer.

Two, if you are setting up the system with both drives installed, you may want to configure your user account with folder redirection. If you right click any default folder under your username and select properties, you will notice a Location tab in the properties window. By default, the folders are located on C:\Users\$Username$\, but you can move the folder to the location D:\$Username$\ or E:\$Username$\, whichever is your hard drive, to prevent files from automatically being placed on your SSD. For example, the default download location for your web browser is usually C:\Users\$Username$\Downloads, meaning every image, installer file, song, etc. that you download is placed on your SSD, if you move the Downloads directory to the hard drive, these files will no longer cause wear and tear on your SSD or occupy space, leaving more room and more performance for your applications or files which you purposefully place on the drive. More information on redirecting folders can be found here on TechNet.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Build Windows 7 Storage