Sign in with
Your question

Black screen HD5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2010 5:50:08 AM

K...here we go, I installed a HD5770..everything was fine till I activated the overclock....the screen went black.....soooo, I re-boot, log in and after about 2-3 seconds of the screen looking fine, it goes back to black....I've tried everything to get to the ATI control panel to disable the feature but it wont give me enough time to open the panel before going black.....I am out of thoughts to cure this problem......I need help please.......

I would list the hardware but, I'm not sure it's relevant, I just need to disable OR, reset the overclock.........

More about : black screen hd5770

a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2010 6:11:10 AM

Try resetting your BIOS Memory. Do you know how to do that? Look in your manual about resetting the CMOS jumper pins in your motherboard manual. This clears the bios and should clear the overclocking settings. Hopefully you didn't burn the video card out.
m
l
April 11, 2010 6:19:03 AM

So clearing the BIOS mem will reset the overclock on my Graphics card?....Also, if the card is burnt, why does it work for a couple of seconds before going black. I would assume if its cooked, it would stay cooked without ever getting a screen......Everything was fine till I activated the overclock and, I only boosted it a little....either way, I'm grateful for all the help......
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2010 11:20:58 AM

ccc usually doesn't apply any overclock at start up ( it doesn't remember the settings)

but if it does.... do you have a spare video cards laying around? use that to login and change settings....
m
l
April 11, 2010 11:57:04 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a spare card.....There must be some way to reset this video card back to default.....or a boot procedure that will allow me to get to the control screen for it.....I've tried getting in through the Safe mode and the VGA mode but it will not let use the ATI control panel to shut down the overclock........yes, I've reinstalled the drivers from the website and the boot disk......Personally I'm not in a panic, if I have to replace it fine but, I think this problem is going to take a really smart person to solve.....

Someone out there is smarter than MSI(HD5770 Hawk), who is the genius that can solve this?........

Thanks everyone..........
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2010 12:07:28 PM

Look in the manual for those pins. Or take out the battery on the mobo for a few seconds and put it back.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 2:14:40 AM

Same thing happening to me rght now. I got up to 1050 core at 1174v and the the damn thing took a dump on me. Tried everything doesnt work same results. I'm 99% sure it's toasted. I tired 3 other cards and power supplies and all work fine. You may have gotten unlucky like me and ended up with one that couldn't handle very high voltage. I have the xfx 5770 reference and used after burner. I also tried 3 different bios. The strange thing is that it works in safe mode. During normal boot it will kiss the dirt when the fans start blowing.
m
l
May 27, 2010 4:45:01 AM

Did any of you guys get this figured out? This happened to me a few weeks ago and thought I fried my card. I knew I hadn't, because I was able to go in as administrator and play games just fine. I reinstalled drivers, uninstalled MSI Afterburner and Kombuster. Symptoms were the same under my personal login, I'd see the desktop then after about 10 sec the screen goes black, not pure black but like I lost my signal coming from the card. I'm not sure what I did, but it just started working again at stock speeds. I really want to OC this card, but I'd rather not go through that experience again.
m
l
!