technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I have this power supply an akasa 500w PSU (AK-P050FG8-BK) and I have lost the
mains lead.
I want to buy another one exactly like the one that came
with my power supply bit I don't know whether the original
lead was a 5amp or a 10amp lead.
By the way on my PSU it says both 5amps and 10ams is supported but I don't know which is better.

Thank you everybody :) :) :)

Please help me as soon as possible

Solution
which country are you in? don't expect answers within hours if it happens you are luck if not then wait....

at 240V a 500W PSU will draw about 2 amps, at 110V it will draw about 4.5amps, however it will occassionally be higher depending on what your peak power draw from you system could be. so 5 amps might not be enough if you have a highly loaded system and live in 110V country. But 10amps will always be enough.

HOWEVER, a 5 amp cable just means that it is fused to 5 amps and will safely fail at 5amps (and it might have less copper in the wires), so unlessyou are running 500w of system off a 50W psu you would not notice the difference. So it should not cause buzzing of your psu. what else has changed, how did you lose the cable...

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

Thank you so much Pyroflea, so a 10amps socket will definitely not damage my computer?

I have already tried a 5amps lead and the PSU makes a buzzing sound so is that because I should be using a 10amp lead.

which country are you in? don't expect answers within hours if it happens you are luck if not then wait....

at 240V a 500W PSU will draw about 2 amps, at 110V it will draw about 4.5amps, however it will occassionally be higher depending on what your peak power draw from you system could be. so 5 amps might not be enough if you have a highly loaded system and live in 110V country. But 10amps will always be enough.

HOWEVER, a 5 amp cable just means that it is fused to 5 amps and will safely fail at 5amps (and it might have less copper in the wires), so unlessyou are running 500w of system off a 50W psu you would not notice the difference. So it should not cause buzzing of your psu. what else has changed, how did you lose the cable?, have you moved your pc, moved house.... etc. these might have disturbed something so that it makes a buzzing noise, cable against fan blades etc.

Solution