Q6600 55-60c Idle Need help.

zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Okay I'm back again with basically the same problem as the last time I posted. My CPU last time was idling at about 80c and I cleaned the heatsink and cpu with 99% isopropyl alcohol and replaced the thermal paste put the heatsink back on which was a massive pain in the ass mind you and it fixed the issue completely I was idling at about 40c and 50-55c under load but now after a few months it has slowly moved up in idle temp a degree or couple degree's at a time and now its getting too hot for me to be comfortable with it.

I want to know is this the heatsink again? Is it defective? and if the heatsink isn't the issue what else can I do to cool the cpu better? What can I use to clean dust effectively and safely and how long can I run this cpu without risking it failing completely? Thanks in advance.

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
there are a few things you could do to see what is causing the problem. check to see the room temperture with a thermonoter to see if the room is cool enough to bring cool air into the case. download speedfan and see what is your fan speed and you case temperture. If the cpu fan speed is above 1000 rpms or above is a good speed. if it lower then that the cpu fan needs to be replaced. You could add more fans to the computer case to cool it down faster but make sure theres follow the orginal fans if your case has them

zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
CPU Fan is at 2200RPM I have 6 other fans that are 35mm in the computer itself one on top one on the front 3 on the side and one on the back there is space for one more fan of the same size but I don't think that will help that much. the temp in my room is always about 75 degrees Fahrenheit

zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I just cleaned out all the dust I could out of my heat sink and fans re-applyed the thermal paste and re set the heat sink again and my idle temp is down to 48-50c hopefully it stays this low this time instead of increasing.

What heatsink are you using? The stock Intel one? Cuz those really suck massivley for the 65nm Core 2 Quads.

I would suggest a after market CPU cooler.

And what thermal paste are you using? That alone can mean 5c differences in temp. If your ambient is 75F that means you are about 23C so the CPU should idle at about 10c higher than that so idle should be 32c.

I have a Q6600 @ 3GHz with a Zalman CNPS9700 and am using IC DIamond 24 as a thermal paste and I idle at about 30c or less and run 50-55c under load. My ambient is 75-78F normally.

zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008

I'm using a heatsink very similar to this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118036) I believe its a zalman 9600 or something and arctic silver 5 thermal paste at the time of purchase the cpu cooler was supposed to be pretty good for the price so I don't think it should be having these issues.

MRFS has good advice.

Those push pins are mongrels and hard to lock down.

When not locked properly they cause insufficient contact between the HSF base and the IHS on the CPU.

Irrespective of how good the TIM is, the temps will rise on the CPU as a result.

zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I'm not using anything that looks like those push pins the way my heatsink is mounted is with a metal bar that goes through the bottom of the mount you clip one side to a piece of plastic and push the other side down and clip it to the other side with a little bracket type dealio its a massive pain in the ass it takes like 15lb of pressure to get the second clip in and I'm always scared I'm going to break it but once its clipped its solid you can't move it at all.

That is the Zalman 7500. Not bad but not as good as the 9700. It should still get you to around 35-40c idle max if the CPU is stock. BTW, what is the CPU voltage at?

And to the other guys, its got a backplate. I have yet to see a all copper Zalman using the POS push pin design thank God.

zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008

The CPU is completely stock I haven't oc'd it at all. The Core Voltage on CPU-Z says 1.120 V.