Need help with whs 2011 raid 5 issue

fmydog

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I have been running windows home server 2011 for some time now and during the initial process of setting it up i never noticed this issue until tonight due to the lack of noise in my house. To make a long story short i was sitting there reading a book when i heard a feint beeping sound coming from the whs box i have in my living room. I started to watch it a little closure and sure enough every couple of mins it make a beep and all the drives in my raid 5 array loose power then spin right back up and keep doing what they were doing. Not sure what the exact cause it but the more i load them with activity the more often they loose power and make the beep sound. This causes no data loss from what i can see and yes it pauses the operation for a second or two but nothing super harmful yet. Should i be worried? does anyone know why this is happening? Below are my specs, thanks in advance.

Norco RPC4220 case
Earthwatts 480 PSU
asus em-e350 pro mobo with embedded e350 amd cpu
8 GB kingston value ram
8 x seagate 5900 rpm green barracuda drives sata ii
2 x wd 10k rmp raptor drives raid 0 os drive 150GB
2 x seagate 1tb lp 5400 low power drives in raid 1 for backup of important data
all drives except os drives are connected to the 4x sy-pex40008 sata 2 pcix1 4 port sata raid cards os is onboard ports

Thats the info hopefully someone sheds some light, do i need to power off immediately ? lol i dont wanna hear that.

PS: Superadmins/Admins please make a new disscusion catogory for WHS :p Thanks!!!!! i do plan on using toms hardware for the years to come and really love WHS.

start by the simple stuff.. download hardware monitor and set it to log your power supply. watch the 12v leg to see if it dropping below spec and recovering. if the raid is powering down on a set time..check your bios and windows power settings. they may be trying to spin the drives down to save power and cant.

fmydog

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the response I will go through and check the power more carefully and windows setting. I am using speed fan and hdd sentinel. I mentioned that during heavy load it happens more often so i didn't think about drive spin down settings. It might be the psu. I will report back.