Best place to get ink?? - problems with off brands?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 9, 2004 5:59:13 PM

I have a canon printer and have been using non cannon brand ink, when I
switched I didn't notice much, if any, or change in the colours of my
pictures, The ink is so much cheaper than the cannon branded stuff. Has any
one had any trouble with generic ink tanks? This is the stuff I have been
using.

http://www.gogocity.com/searchPrinterModel.asp?store%5F...

If that link doesn't work, its a cannon 950i and I get all six cartridges
for about 9 bucks

Dave
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:50:36 AM

>The ink is so much cheaper than the cannon branded stuff. Has any
>one had any trouble with generic ink tanks?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,00.asp ... article titled
"Cheap Ink Probed", which answers your questions well ...
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:50:37 AM

Thanks for the link!

Dave

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.comedy> wrote in message
> >The ink is so much cheaper than the cannon branded stuff. Has any
>>one had any trouble with generic ink tanks?
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,00.asp ... article titled
> "Cheap Ink Probed", which answers your questions well ...
Related resources
December 10, 2004 12:50:38 AM

In article <mf-dneizI6bpVCXcRVn-qA@comcast.com>, nothing@doing.ca says...
> Thanks for the link!
>
> Dave
>

> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.comedy> wrote in message
> > >The ink is so much cheaper than the cannon branded stuff. Has any
> >>one had any trouble with generic ink tanks?
> >
> > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,00.asp ... article titled
> > "Cheap Ink Probed", which answers your questions well ...

There are several places where you can get ink as good as or better than the
OEM inks.

www.inksupply.com & www.atlanticinkjet.com both have high quality ink, but
its NOT CHEAP! It is less expensive than buying OEM cartridges, but you need
to have the proper equipment and a lot of patience if you want to save any
money.

I have used ink from MIS Assosiates for years (inksupply.com) and have NOT
had any prints fade faster than OEM inks. (in my Canon printers)

I have only recently tried inks from Atlantic inkjet, but they have a good
reputation among the people who re-fill thier cartridges.

I have re-filled Epson cartridges, but found it not to be worth the effort,
as the Epsons will clog no matter WHAT ink you use.

I dont recommend re-inking HP cartridges (although I used to both do it and
recommend it).

Since Epson came out with the r200, r300 ect, with dye based ink in seperate
cartridges I'm now giving that series a try.

I will do a few re-fills on it and use it to print business cards and stuff
for personal use, and if it works well without to much clogging I'll try a
few photo prints with it. Currently Im waiting for a set of empty cartridges
(you need these as the Epson carts cant be re-filled) and some ink for it (I
have a re-setter for the chips on the carts)..

If there is any interest I'll post my results.

Truth be told, I expect it to clog before I empty the first set of carts, it
IS after all, an Epson.

Most of my customers get either 8x10 dye-sub prints or 8x10 Photo prints from
the local photo-lab (we actually have one in Mystic!) but SOME have voiced a
prefference for ink-jet prints on glossy paper, they say they look sharper
and brighter.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

>From: Larry lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet

>I have re-filled Epson cartridges, but found it not to be worth the effort,
>as the Epsons will clog no matter WHAT ink you use.

I've used several Epsons, always with Epson inks, and have never had one
seriously clog ... only once did I have to run more than a couple of cleaning
cycles on a 1280 and both the 2200 and 4000 almost never skip a bar in the
nozzle check. An EX sat unused for 8 months, was powered up and ran three
cleaning cycles and it worked fine.

On the other hand I know several people like you who use 3rd party inks who
complain about clogging. I think there's a correlation myself.

Bill
December 10, 2004 4:05:30 AM

In article <20041209200529.06333.00001489@mb-m18.aol.com>, bhilton665
@aol.comedy says...
> On the other hand I know several people like you who use 3rd party inks who
> complain about clogging. I think there's a correlation myself.
>
> Bill

I complain about clogging ONLY with Epson printers, and I only complain
because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the way they clog, even when
only used with Epson inks!

If I run a cleaning cycle on one of my Canon printers and then put a 2 to 5
then print on medium that costs from 3 to 6 dollars, I'll get my print.

The same cant be said for any Epson I have used (yet). I have high hopes for
the r series (with a redesigned printhead), perhaps I'll get some of that
Epson quality to actually complete a 40 inch Pano without a snivet.

Like I said before, the problem isnt bad enough to keep me from using Epson,
only bad enough that I dont trust one with a blank page that cost $6.00 (or
more). I leave that to the Canons for now.

The Canons do clog, but if the ink tanks are full, and you run a "deep
clean" cycle before starting a large print, you have a 99% chance of getting
it done.

I have two Epsons that have NEVER had anything but Epson ink in them, and
they do the same thing as the two others that get after-market inks. THEY
CLOG more often than the Canons, and they are harder to clear when they do.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

We've used Carrot inks for years now. As the article from PC World
states, if you want permanent, use brand names. I don't even do that.
If I want permanent, I buy the prints. I'm convinced it's much cheaper
to buy third party prints than to do your own if you want archival
quality. You can upload your completed shots to many high quality labs
and shortly receive the finished product in the mail. In fact, Wal
Mart now does one hour prints online. You upload them from home (or
wherever) and pick them up an hour later at the store of your choice.
I haven't verified it yet, but someone said CVS is doing this too, so I
imagine they all will soon.

Anyway, the Carrot Ink does just fine for documents and utility work.
We have stuff laying around that I know must be four years old or so
with no significant fading, so it works well for our purposes. After
reading some of the articles on third party ink cartridges, you'd think
it was disappearing ink, but that just hasn't been our experience. My
wife does a lot of four by sixes using the cheaper inks for her
scrapbooks. She figures if they do fade, she can replace them, but
since they will be exposed to very little light, we don't think that
will happen. Carrot also runs package specials that pull the price
down even further. I guess it all boils down to personal choice and
needs in the end.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:49:00 PM

I also have in the back of my mind that if my Canon print head ever does
clog terminally, it's a user-replacable component.

I have switched to off brand inks because they are less than a quarter of
the price on the UK market. If the prints fade, so what. I'll just print
them again. I've got plenty of conventional photos which have faded and for
which I don't have that option.

Keith
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 5:53:56 PM

http://www.InkRepublic.com is holding Year-End sale. Everything is 20%
off plus Free shipping to all over the world.

Their bulk ink system is spongeless which means it wont void your
warranty.

They do have great solution for R200, R300, RX500, RX600, R800, 1280,
2200, C86 ... etc individual cartridge printer.

Take a look:
http://www.inkrepublic.com/Installation.asp
http://www.inkrepublic.com/
http://www.inkrepublic.com/VideoClips.asp
http://www.inkrepublic.com/Testimonials.asp
December 18, 2004 1:58:26 AM

actually their ink is less permanent than a Milli Vanilli hit and the system
will foul your printer. Avoid them.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"DaisyCrapper" <centubal@sbobal.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:20:35 AM

> >From: Larry lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet
>
>>I have re-filled Epson cartridges, but found it not to be worth the
>>effort,
>>as the Epsons will clog no matter WHAT ink you use.
>
> I've used several Epsons, always with Epson inks, and have never had one
> seriously clog ... only once did I have to run more than a couple of
> cleaning
> cycles on a 1280 and both the 2200 and 4000 almost never skip a bar in the
> nozzle check. An EX sat unused for 8 months, was powered up and ran three
> cleaning cycles and it worked fine.
>
> On the other hand I know several people like you who use 3rd party inks
> who
> complain about clogging. I think there's a correlation myself.

I've used Epson printers for the last ten years or so, and one thing they
have all had in common has been that they would clog. I'm forever having to
run the head cleaning gizmo.

I still buy them though.

What I'd really like would be an R800 with a bulk feed ink kit.
!