Sign in with
Your question

File Association - All Users

Last response: in Windows 7
October 26, 2011 8:41:51 PM

Is there a way to change a file association for all users who use windows 7? I intend to roll windows 7 out within my company and prefer not to have to make this change per user if I could avoid it.

More about : file association users

a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 9:04:45 PM

You shouldn't have to. Have you come across this problem?

But anywho, If you really want to make sure....

Set everything up on 1 account.

Now go to your C:\Documents and settings

Find your account that you made the changes to.

Now copy everything in that user's folder besides favourites and their documents folder to the folder named "Default user".

Note once you make the changes you will have to reboot and log in as a different account, as that user's folder will be locked until you restart.

This should keep all the changes you made in that account you are copying from to any new users who log into that computer.
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:34:21 PM

Chainzsaw said:
You shouldn't have to. Have you come across this problem?

But anywho, If you really want to make sure....

Set everything up on 1 account.

Now go to your C:\Documents and settings

Find your account that you made the changes to.

Now copy everything in that user's folder besides favourites and their documents folder to the folder named "Default user".

Note once you make the changes you will have to reboot and log in as a different account, as that user's folder will be locked until you restart.

This should keep all the changes you made in that account you are copying from to any new users who log into that computer.

Thanks Chainzsaw, I appreciate that, but how do I get past the fact the Documents and Settings and Default User folders are both locked in Windows 7 and not accessable even in safe mode?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2011 1:37:18 PM

You should be able to log into the computer as a local administrator and do it...I just tested it out on my W7 box and it works.

Oh and instead of documents and users - try just C:\users

m
l
October 27, 2011 3:18:29 PM

Thanks for the quick replies Chainzsaw, but I am still unable to access the Default User folder (locked). Do I have to change the permissions on this folder? It already states that the local administrator has special permissions and full control for which I am using (built in admin). the owner shows as System, but if I change this, won't this prevent other users from accessing?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2011 3:26:06 PM

That is quite strange. I can access it with my local admin account.

Are you sure the local admin has access to that specific folder? You can always inherit permissions from the objects parent.

You should be able to add the admin to the security group without taking away from the systems group.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2011 3:30:50 PM

Well, before we go further..

Why don't you try create a local account - and see if the file associations are ok when you enter that account (after installing whatever it is you need).

That would probably be a bit less of a hassle.
m
l
October 27, 2011 4:22:53 PM

Using a local account other then administrator is a no go. In the properties it shows the administrator as having full permissions but I am unable to change the inheritance.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2011 4:41:11 PM

Alrighty.

Change the ownership to your local admin group/local admin.

Right click on Docs & settings

Go yo security tab

Advanced

Go to the owner tab and add the admin group to the owner group. You should be able to have more than 2 owners and this shouldn't mess it up for the other users.
m
l
October 31, 2011 5:31:19 PM

Chainzsaw,

Sorry for the late reply. I tried all of your suggestions but no good. I was unable to get 2 owners on the folder and after I changed it prevented other new users from accessing. I guess it will have to be done on a per case basis.
m
l
!