Best bang for buck CPU for everyday computing?

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
I am going to build a computer for my gf just curious want kind of processor to get. I can overclock it. She wants a computer that can load up really fast and run internet, ms word and some low demanding games.

I really just want to know the best dollar for dollar graphics card for this.

I would like to spend as little as possible of course. thanks for you input. much appreciated.

blink180heights

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
well she doesnt game at all maybe some cheezy games that can be ran with integrated graphics. I have an old geforce 8400 or something i can put in it. She just needs something functional that can load everything speedy. Not going to have any demanding programs other than dl movies and music lol.

I'd look into an Athlon IIx2 based system, 4GB memory for windows 7 and an SSD under $200 if she doesn't need more than 60GB capacity. If by cheesy games, you mean online flash or java, the still don't make use of the GPU and are more CPU demanding. But any modern CPU can handle them, unless they are poorly coded. Even HD movies can be handled by an AMD 3200 or 4200 IGP.
I do have another suggestion, have you considered Linux? If boot times and speediness is what she is looking for, and it sounds like she doesn't have a real need for any windows programs, it could be a consideration. It would also reduce the amount of money needed to be spent on RAM.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

I believe you mean "onboard graphics", but overall I agree with you.

An Athlon II X2 240, 785G with sideport memory and 4GB of RAM (assuming you're using Windows XP 64-bit, Vista or 7) are the way to go

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010

now even though the board have built in graphics in the future there is an option to get say a gt 240 graphics card nothing major correct?

You don't need an Nvidia chipset in order to run an Nvidia graphics card.

k1ngkev1n1: now even though the board have built in graphics in the future there is an option to get say a gt 240 graphics card nothing major correct?
Correct. You can put any graphics card, Nvidia or ATI, that is a PCI-e card, in that PCI-e 16x slot.