Would unstable vcore cause 1 second freezes occasionally?

spongeguar

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
So when i originally got my PC, the CPU vcore was set to a whopping 1.475v, causing it to run at a massive 65c in intel burn test (it's a Phenom II x6 1055T @ stock clocks)
I was advised that a vcore of 1.3 should be stable, so I dropped it down.

Now, in certain games (Age of Conan/World of Warcraft from waht I've noticed), I get occasional 1 second freezes, where the game just kind of stops for a second, and then continues on. I've been trying to troubleshoot this for days, and so far I have found NOTHING. I've tried updating all drivers from NIC to southbridge, I've tried all sorts of tweaks, disabling core parking, changing HDD sleep mode, dozens of tweaks for each of the two games (it is most noticeable in WoW), and I have found absolutely nothing that fixes it.

The strangest thing, is that running the taskmanager performance monitor, NOTHING spikes during these freezes. CPU, memory, network, GPU, and disk usage all stay the same. That's why I am completely stumped. I've tried defragging everything, reinstalling each of the games, and running in selective startup mode. Still no fix.

So that brings me to the question - is it possible that these 1 second freezes are caused by an unstable cpu due to too low of a vcore?

Have you tried running Prime95? That test can tell you whats wrong. It has a test that stresses mainly the CPU and if it crashes, its the CPU thats not stable.

It has one that test more memory or you could try Memtest 86+. If it shows errors or crashes, then the memory is either bad or the voltage is set to low (make sure the BIOS has the memory set to the spec voltage).

spongeguar

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
"Can unstable voltages cause 1 second freezes"?

Only you can answer that question. LOL

Put it on stock voltage and give us the answer please. Were dying for you to answer your question.

Lol. I'd put it on stock voltage, but the stock voltage from my bios has a tendency to flash fry my cpu!
1.475v is just MAD

And no, it doesn't happen in all games, only two from what I can tell. I get the odd stutter in TF2, but completely unrelated to this. I've limited it down to either my HDD or my NIC, because it only happens in online games (possible NIC), and only in texture streaming games (HDD)

spongeguar

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Like just cause2.farcry2.gta games.

Yeah, but those games are cnostantly streaming textures.
WoW and AoC are not streaming textures for the entirety of your play session, so when the harddrive spins down, and then after a period of inactivity, is required to spin up, I get a 1 second freeze.

I don't know why you're trying to disagree with me, but really just leave the thread if you're going to try and criticize me.