Deciding on mobo for i7-950 build.....

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I know I'm posting something that's been posted before...as I've been researching mobo's for a couple weeks now. I have everything but the mobo and video card. I don't want to spend over $230 unless necessary...by that I mean quality. I'm torn between the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R and ASUS P6X58D-E and P6X58D Premium. I would also consider a more expensive gigabyte but not sure it's worth it (same with the asus premium board). My main question is what is the difference between the UD3R and the P6X58D-E and also between the three boards listed above and the more expensive Rampage III for example. I am looking to overclock but not as intense as I used to be. The UD3R is $194 now at Newegg and am considering that one...what you think?
On a non-related subject, I'm also not familiar with video cards as I haven't built a system in a while...are ATI or Nvidia better? What's the best card for about $250, and is it a very good card for that money? Also do I get a PCI x2.0 or x2.1 card? I saw this card at newegg

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card

it used to be $400.

Thanks!