Need help asap..building right now!

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Hey gang,

I'm building my computer right this moment..just put on the cpu,heatsink and ram on the mobo. Screwed in the risers on the case. I was screwing in the motherboard to the case, and I ran into what I think is a big problem. The screws screw into the risers/spacers, and they tighten, but I try to tighten them into the risers some more and it just loosens. Did I get cheap risers/screws with the case (antec 300 illusion)? The motherboard stays to the case but I'm afraid there will be a connection problem or something might get shorted when I try to boot up..what gives?

Solution
Don't put washers. The standoffs are a pretty foolproof design, in fact they're that type of design is pretty much an industry standard. The interior of the standoffs are well threaded so there should be no reason they would feel loose.
Are you sure you're using the right size screws for the standoffs?

If the screw size is off or the thread type/width is off, then they won't fit.

banthracis

Distinguished
I assume by risers you're actually talking about motherboard standoff's. Should look like this
IMG_6805.jpg

Make sure you have them oriented correctly. They should screw in until they hit bottom and won't move.
standoff2.jpg

Also, make sure you're screwing them into actual standoff holes, not all holes on the MOBO are.

For ex, in the below pic, the top left and bottom left holes are NOT standoff holes. The ones to their immediete right are.
motherboard_productimage_ga-ep45-ud3r_big.jpg

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Thanks for the response, I'll make sure to credit people on my posts. Yea I'm making sure to screw in the standoffs in the right places and the screws in the right places. It just feels like it strips it self when I try to tighten too much and then it stays loose and won't tighten anymore. Would washers help? Or do you think the standoffs are cheap?

banthracis

Distinguished
Don't put washers. The standoffs are a pretty foolproof design, in fact they're that type of design is pretty much an industry standard. The interior of the standoffs are well threaded so there should be no reason they would feel loose.
Are you sure you're using the right size screws for the standoffs?

If the screw size is off or the thread type/width is off, then they won't fit.

Solution

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

I guess the case bag came with two different types of screws, both are ample length but I guess one type locked in better, I'm gonna continue with the build now using the other type of screw, thank you!