Warranty/overclocking

1meangreen

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I know overclocking supposedly void the warranty, but how? Is it possible for them to detect software overclocking or only bios overclocking. Is something triggered that voids the warranty if it ever goes outsides of its stock frequencies or can they only see what the last settings were when a card dies. Has anyone had trouble RMAing a card that has been overclocked? I don't have a dead card, I'd just like to know. Thanks.

Solution
For the most part they can not tell if a system has been oc'd the only time it is a obvious is if you have done it wrong and pushed the voltage so high that it actually fries the chip leaving obvious burn marks on it. - If you stay within the specified Maximum voltages and keep an eye on the Temps then there is no way to tell a system has been OC'd (Unless you tell them so when talking to the support rep or when sending in for RMA !!) - You'd be surprised how many people do !

On video cards it also will be obvious if you are reflashing the Bios in order to allow voltage mods etc. since when the card goes bad you can not flash the card back to its original BIOS before sending it in.

But for the most part if you are doing things...
For the most part they can not tell if a system has been oc'd the only time it is a obvious is if you have done it wrong and pushed the voltage so high that it actually fries the chip leaving obvious burn marks on it. - If you stay within the specified Maximum voltages and keep an eye on the Temps then there is no way to tell a system has been OC'd (Unless you tell them so when talking to the support rep or when sending in for RMA !!) - You'd be surprised how many people do !

On video cards it also will be obvious if you are reflashing the Bios in order to allow voltage mods etc. since when the card goes bad you can not flash the card back to its original BIOS before sending it in.

But for the most part if you are doing things properly and making small changes and testing before pushing it a bit further - and always remain within the specified MAX voltages for the components - you wont run into problems in the first place.

Solution